Transitioning to the new Stake and Ward Web site Tools

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Perhaps one of the reasons for the delay is that there are more of me than I thought there were. I am the guy who will implement the new calendar in our stake. But there are two small challenges.

I would not know anything about it if I were not on the forum.

I am in the subset of privileged folks who have not yet been given access to the new system.

I do fancy myself a quick learner, though, and based on all I have heard, I am anxious to try it out, once I am given the opportunity.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I am in the subset of privileged folks who have not yet been given access to the new system.
As long as the appropriate people in your stake will authorize it, you simply need to be added to MLS as a Stake Website Administrator and you will have full (Approver) access to the stake Calendar. That will work, regardless of what other callings you may have.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:Wow, that is a bombshell dropped with no fanfare. Everything I've heard up to this point indicated that we could use the new Calendar in 2011. Now we're told we should wait a whole year longer. That's a big change in my plans for my stake.

But I certainly do appreciate hearing the news now, rather than two days later, since we were just about to kick off our 2011 stake calendar process.
Now the page flow has changed again and if you look at this page it says:
The previous calendar will probably remain operational until the end of 2011. However, the new calendar is now available for use. Throughout the year the calendar will undergo improvements and other additions. By the time the old calendar is discontinued, the new calendar will include the ability to import events from the old calendar.
Emphasis added.

Does this mean we can start using it for 2011?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan jones wrote:Now the page flow has changed again and if you look at this page it says:

Emphasis added.

Does this mean we can start using it for 2011?
The quote you excerpted comes from a Q&A at the very end of the page. But the very beginning of the page says:
Wards and stakes should plan to use the new Calendar for all 2012 events. The legacy Stake and Ward Web site calendar will be available through 2011, but we recommend that stakes start using the new calendar as they plan their 2012 events beginning late in 2011.
Since the statement is placed so prominently at the beginning, I think it's safe to assume that this is the basic policy. The Q&A simply says that you can use the new calendar -- nothing about a recommendation. So that's not really a change. No one has ever said that you cannot use the new calendar; rather the statement was that you should use the old calendar.

So the way I take this, and have ever since the statement that started this thread was published, is that the new calendar is available for us to use, but there are no guarantees as to its reliability or how soon any new features will be available. Based on that great uncertainty, our stake decided to follow the recommendation and stick with the old calendar.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Reading both the page you've pointed out and the one at the top of the thread, seems to point to keeping the calendering for the general membership on LUWS for 2011. The new calender is only recommended for private calenders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To quote the page from the top of the thread:
When should our stake begin using the new tools?

Stakes and wards can encourage members to use the new directory right away, but they should continue to use the existing stake and ward Web sites for 2010 and 2011 calendaring. Stakes and wards should plan to use the new calendar for their 2012 events. Leaders who want to help test the new calendar during 2010 and 2011 should do so with private calendars (for example, with interview and presidency meeting calendars).
I see nothing that changes or modifies that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

Now that the logon page to the existing LEWS site has "click me" thumbnails of the new calendar and membership directory it's as if the church is encouraging membership to use the new calendar. I get frequent requests from members for me to move the Stake to the new system. I can't see a valid reason not to do so. I'm running a bit behind getting my physical calendar posted online this year anyway. I don't see what it would hurt, as long as I'm still inputting dates, to just start using the new one.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

SingerGuy wrote:Now that the logon page to the existing LEWS site has "click me" thumbnails of the new calendar and membership directory it's as if the church is encouraging membership to use the new calendar.

"Thumbnail" is an interesting term for something that measures 2" by 3" on my physical computer screen, and for which 4/5 of the right thumbnail is off the screen. I guess the term works because they are not real size. [grin]

In any event, we have gone ahead and started using the new calendar. We figure we will have to make it work sooner or later. We decided the sooner we started, the better chance we would have of getting something usable before the classic site goes away.

And there is nothing at all to using the new directory, except for keeping the membership records updated in MLS. Of course, that was also true for the classic Local Unit Web Site.
rem1701e

Post by rem1701e »

We have been using the new directory and calendar exclusively in 2011 thus far without any major hiccups. Our biggest challenge has been training those who have taken care of calendars on the old system in the past that were not properly called in MLS so we have had to do some one-on-one training and making sure everyone has the rights they need. One other challenge that we face is a lot of our building schedulers in our Stake are not very computer savvy. The whole idea of having the calendar coordinate building resources has been a big pill to swallow. Luckily our Stake Presidency, while not totally tech savvy themselves, have embraced the direction the Church is headed with online resources and we are moving ahead. As with anything, there are going to be wrinkles that have to be ironed out, but isn't that what life is about?
FullmerCB
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by FullmerCB »

Here is the active link to help transitioning to the new Calendar app:

https://tech.lds.org/ldshelp/index.php5 ... e_Calendar

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”