AirLink 101 setup

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lrawlins

AirLink 101 setup

Post by lrawlins »

Hi,

Does anyone have experience setting up an AirLink 101 300N Wireless router for our FHC?

I Know, why this turkey - that's what I have to work with.

If there is something better and easier to set up I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
aclawson

Best access point

Post by aclawson »

Engenius ECB3500 - best access point there is.
schester

Post by schester »

What part are you having a problem setting up?
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

The usual....

No manual and rather vague online help on the device.

It really wants to be a stand alone router rather than an access point.

I'll get FHC Support in on it Tuesday and see if they can help other wise it's getting tossed for something simpler like the above mentioned Engenius.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:It really wants to be a stand alone router rather than an access point.
Depending on what you want to do with it, that may not be a problem. In fact, it can be part of your security system by not allowing any wireless users to connect to anything but the filtered Internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jsfriedman

Airlink 101 Setup

Post by jsfriedman »

I have had good luck with the Airlink 101 as both a Wireless G Router(AR525W) Router and the N (AR680W) Access Point in our Stake Center and as a Router at my home. Use the default IP 192.168.1.1 and default "admin" password to configure it. DHCP is enabled to use it as a router; disabled as an access point. Here is an example of my settings:

Good luck. -JF
Attachments
AirLink Setup.xls
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
jsfriedman

Post by jsfriedman »

The above was supposed have a table with 4 columns. Is there a way to do an attachment?-JF
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

Thanks for the settings.

I tried those with no success and put in a call to our friends at GSD.

After an hour on the phone tonight I think I will carefully position the AirLink under the wheels of a large truck.

There seems to be something blocking it from communicating with my Cisco ASA but the tech wasn't able to get them to talk.

I do have half a dozen or so EnGenius access points working in other buildings and will pursue that option.

Bye
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jsfriedman wrote:Use the default IP 192.168.1.1 and default "admin" password to configure it. DHCP is enabled to use it as a router; disabled as an access point.
The settings for the IP address and subnet mask provided by jsfriedman in his attachment will not work when deployed behind the Cisco ASA 5505 (or Cisco PIX 501) .

The setup should be done prior to deployment (direct wire connection to a computer) since you will not be able to access it through the ASA firewall with the Airlink default configuration settings. The IP address of the Airlink should be set to a static IP address and one of the five (5) after the Cisco ASA 5505 IP address. This address is on a sticker on the ASA's case. Having a static IP address has several advantages. One of them is being able to accessing the Airlink once deployed (You would not otherwise know the IP address when assigned by the DHCP server of the ASA). The subnet mask should be the same as the ASA's. If I remember correctly it is 255.255.255.224. If using a Cisco PIX 501 you can use the Ipconfig command from a networked computer to find the subnet mask.

The router functions should be disabled. However, you can use it as a router if you want the WLAN to be separated from the wired LAN. Running another router behind the ASA requires some understanding of network configurations and attention to configurations necessary to work with, and not conflict with, the ASA. Using the Airlink as a router overly complicates the network. It may also create difficulties for your successor if they are not as informed about networking. I recommend disabling the router functions and most definitely the DHCP functions since that will be handled by the ASA.

When deployed, if the router functions are not going to be used, the cable from the ASA should be plugged into any available port except the WAN, or Internet, port.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”