Anything on Karin or Burmeis??

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
MayaML

Anything on Karen or Burmese??

Post by MayaML »

Any material anywhere on one of those languages? We have a couple of Burmesian members and the mother wants to go through the temple... and my son is having discusitions with Burmnesians, who can not the language of the country or English or anything.... so anything about church on those languages??
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Maya wrote:Any material anywhere on one of those languages? We have a couple of Burmesian members and the mother wants to go through the temple... and my son is having discusitions with Burmnesians, who can not the language of the country or English or anything.... so anything about church on those languages??
I assume you are speaking of what we call in English "Burmese" -- the language spoken by people in Burma (now known as Myanmar). I'm not sure what language is meant by "Karin".

I found a Burmese General Conference Page.

On http://store.lds.org, you can find these items which are available in Burmese:
There's probably more, but that's what I could find with a quick look.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Yes Thank you... I had a feeling I did not figure out the English spelling right :D Conferanse site! That was cool! I wonder if they know about that I need to tell them right away! Ops it was Karen
This family is so awersome! The children and a friend dansed in a show of many cultures last saturday and it was so beautiful! The girls were wearing the white dress alike the picture in the link and boys had the colors of the other dress.
I just had a thought, that I could take contact with mision in Thailand... maybe there are some Burmesian converts!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_people
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

The shipping is 3x as much as the books... I talk with my bishop...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Maya wrote:The shipping is 3x as much as the books... I talk with my bishop...
You would probably get cheaper and faster shipping by working through a distribution center in Europe. You might investigate that possibility.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Yes I am going to the Swedish Temple next month again... but they dont have anything there any more and they order everything at the same time, so... IF they are going to order soon and recieve it til I get there... then I might ask them to order for me. Unfortunately they have stopped to sell any other languages than Swedish, Norwegean and English (The languages Temple is for + English), Maybe eventual Spanish...
Really miss a Deseret book store here ... or FAIR... or... well never been in one :D so cant really miss them. Postals are killing!:( And here if you buy with some 50$ you get taxes on top of it all... so one book at the time or two used ...
My favorite hobby... doorling and looking at all the LDS books in Deseret, amazon, FAIR and then closing the window... :D
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

There are missionaries serving now or have possibly completed service who were Burmese by nationality or culturally, one of them served in Oakland California recently, I understand there were six.

New FamilySearch now handles Thai and Cambodian names, while I'n not familiar with Burmese names, if they handle them similarly then the same templates might work, if different character sets other than Roman are used, then be sure they get in in the character set and in Roman characters so that others can find them. This will be useful for any that join the Church, although nFS is thought to be nearing a point where a version can be released to the world at large.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Thank you that was interesting. They did do some babtizements and I heard the names were very weird and unprononucible for the Norwegean babtrizes so he had to ask every time how to say it :D. But I have no idea which writing system they use on the nFS, but it must have been readable to the babtizer :D. Their system with names is also different... they had no surenames or something. Difficult to follow who is whos parents I think.
Burmese misionaries that was very interesting!
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

When they need it nFS will handle single names, you can even search for people using just that if needed, just click the button to go to the single name search mode.

There are probably already a small number of Burmese names in nFS already as well, probably due to the aforementioned missionaries and some others who have joined over the years.

Return to “General Media Discussions”