Why all local budgets zeroed in CUBS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
wcarlm

Why all local budgets zeroed in CUBS

Post by wcarlm »

The local budget allocations (e.g., Relief Society, Primary, Ward Administration, Activities Committee, etc.) have all been zeroed with the installation of CUBS. Also, all of the expenditures of these auxiliaries and other entities have been zeroed.

How can we recover this information? If we can't, then how are we to monitor the total annual expenditures of the entities?

Thanks for help.

Stake Finance Clerk
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

finclerkcarl wrote:The local budget allocations (e.g., Relief Society, Primary, Ward Administration, Activities Committee, etc.) have all been zeroed with the installation of CUBS. Also, all of the expenditures of these auxiliaries and other entities have been zeroed.
The budget allocations were zeroed, because your original categories no longer exist. The budget subcategories have all been replaced with standard CUBS subcategories.

The expenditures have not been zeroed, but have been recategorized. Unfortunately, they are all in the Budget:Administration category now.
finclerkcarl wrote:How can we recover this information? If we can't, then how are we to monitor the total annual expenditures of the entities?
You have a couple of options: see the thread Recreating Pre-CUBS Budget Detail.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

finclerkcarl wrote:The local budget allocations (e.g., Relief Society, Primary, Ward Administration, Activities Committee, etc.) have all been zeroed with the installation of CUBS. Also, all of the expenditures of these auxiliaries and other entities have been zeroed.

How can we recover this information? If we can't, then how are we to monitor the total annual expenditures of the entities?
I'll say the same thing as Alan_Brown just slightly different. All local financial information was replaced with CHQ's financial data. Basically, your local records were replaced with the church's records. All information is now exactly as it appeared on your CUFS: ref number, purpose, amount and, arguably, category. All subcategories were stored at the local level only. CHQ only tracked expenses by major category (Budget, Other, Ward Missionary).

Because they didn't have the subcategory info, all expenses have been lumped into a single category - Budget:Administration. All disbursements and OTA's have been lumped into Budget:Budget Allocations.

Also, the old system knew nothing about your budgets. The SFS tracked total expenses, but again, they had no way of knowing what your budgets were. That was "local" as well.

Many of us wish the instructions had included printing Budget Reports. I have no better suggestion for you than Alan_Brown's.
nicklewis

Recovering Budget Data

Post by nicklewis »

You can recover budget data by restoring from a backup; HOWEVER, that is a dangerous process if you are not comfortable with some of the problems you might encounter along the way.

You have a have a good backup of the current database. You restore from the backup pre-17 Oct 2010 and retrieve your reports. You then restore your system to you good current backup.

If I were doing it, I would also recommend that before a novice begins the process, he should copy the entire current LDS Church folder under Programs to another location. It something goes wrong during a restore process (and I've had that happen more than once where it corrupted the database and no longer let you in to MLS), you can then delete the bad LDS Church folder and restore the copied one back into its original location. (There are simpler ways of accomplishing this like just copying and replacing the Units folder, but I hesitate having someone muck in the folders and not doing the right thing.)

You have to be cautious about having a copy of the LDS Church folder laying around even if you have the disc space. The danger is that you can run MLS from that folder and if you do and make changes you could might mess up your database. If you use it for this backup purpose, get rid of it afterwards.
Nick Lewis
Melbourne Ward Clerk
Cocoa Florida Stake
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

A restore is a good idea, but I really think we should NOT be doing it on our own MLS installation. As has been stated before, just this once it would probably be wiser to install MLS on a different machine, disconnect internet, restore the backup, print the needed reports, then remove MLS and the data from the other machine. I've already heard reports of bad things happening if this is done on the "live" installation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Or better yet, install the data on another Unit's computer. That way the live data is never installed on a non-church computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”