How to understand nFS sources?

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
dubhdara-p40

How to understand nFS sources?

Post by dubhdara-p40 »

I'm not new to family history, but I have avoided trying to make sense of the way the Church lists its sources. But the time has come for me to try and understand it, so as I could find nothing about it on the "help" for nFS I will ask here:

1. When I click on "individual sources" I do not understand what item of information the source is referencing. How can I tell?

2. Why are sources duplicated? Sometimes the batch number is different - did the Church accidentally microfilm the same records more than once???

3. Why are temple/LDS records given as sources? Sources should be primary sources. I cannot use someone else's research as a basis for my sources, it is only of use if they provide the sources.

4. Where are other sources listed? Let's say the only record of a date of birth
is in an old family bible - where is this recorded in nFS?

5. Why is it I can get my head around most family research, but the Church's procedures for sources, cataloguing, etc. is about as clear as mud? (you don;t have to answer this one :D )

Thanks in advance ;
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You'd probably have better luck in getting an answer by asking in the Familysearch forums.

This section is largely inactive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dubhdara-p40

Post by dubhdara-p40 »

Thanks for the link - however, for some reason I cannot log into that page but can log in here!

EDIT: Ah, it's not an lds account...will register..thank!

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”