MLS finance category access very slow

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

MLS finance category access very slow

Post by aebrown »

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed an extreme slowdown when working with MLS categories after the CUBS conversion. Here's what I was doing last night:
  1. I had made many transfers in MLS, and had added several categories.
  2. After a couple of hours of working in MLS like this, when I went to add a category it was very slow. By slow, I mean that:
    • I would select the parent category and click the Add button; it would be about 5 seconds before the New Category box would appear.
    • I could type ahead the name of the new category, but what I typed would not appear for another minute or more.
    • When I pressed Enter to save the new name, it would take at least another minute before the category tree would be refreshed.
Needless to say, this became very tedious. I was hurrying to make another appointment, so I didn't have time to exit MLS and go back to the Add/Update Categories screen to see if it responded better after restarting MLS. I suspect it would. I was just curious if anyone else had seen the same thing.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Given all the changes, I wonder if a defrag wouldn't be a bad idea.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Given all the changes, I wonder if a defrag wouldn't be a bad idea.
It's probably not a bad idea, but there's no way that accounts for this particular slow down. Adding categories was reasonably snappy at the beginning of my MLS session, but outrageously slow a couple of hours later. That sounds like memory management issues, not disk management.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Yes. I found it extremely slow when adding new categories, and also when editing expenses from the view/update expenses screen (click on the hyperlink, opens the expense, changing the budget category, saving, giving a reason, and closing.

Also, see here about cutting checks, too.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

I've noticed that since the Canadian conversion in July, most of the MLS functions have slowed considerably. Sometimes it takes so long I find myself wondering whether I actually clicked on an item!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Last night I determined to re-categorize all my expenses for at least 2010. It took 3 hours of dedicated work to get through about 1/2 of all my expenses. The main reason was mentioned earlier.... The process was slow to begin with, but it is extremely slow... It would take 20-30 seconds to open the hyperlink to the expense. I will be spending another night away from my family to finish this work.

This needs to be looked at and fixed... I believe it existed previously, I remember waiting for that to open before, but not to this extent.. The issue should be added to a punch list and driven out....
nicklewis

Slow Updates post-CUBS

Post by nicklewis »

I sent an MLS message to Salt Lake on the same thing. I worried it was just my machine for a while. It was taking an inordinate amount to click on an expense item before the edit screen would open. The save time was just as frustrating. Task manager showed javaw.exe was eating up 98% of my system resources during that time.
Nick Lewis
Melbourne Ward Clerk
Cocoa Florida Stake
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

This has happened before with major changes to MLS. I'd like to suggest that:

1. Recategorizing all past expenses is going to be a painful process, so it's probably not a good use of time.
2. The developers will eventually figure out what is slowing down the system and fix it.

I suppose someone who is more java-savvy than me could run a debugger and see what part of the code is eating up CPU, but that's not likely to be helpful without labels. In the meantime, we thank you for letting us know what not to do.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”