CUBS: Other: Balances not what they used to be - How do I fix?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
coloradotechie-p40

CUBS: Other: Balances not what they used to be - How do I fix?

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

Note: I read the "CUBS is live" message and I still have a question (well, in fact, I have a BUNCH of questions but I thought I would create a separate thread for each question so as to keep things short and simple).

Question: Our "Other:" categories no longer show what they used to have in them, what do I do?

Possible answer (from page 5 of 9 of the Message I printed out from CHQ):
Q. All my balances in budget, other, and ward missionary are different than they were. How can I get them
back to normal? Can you give me step-by-step instructions on how to fix these?
A. When viewing the Income and Expense Report, select All as the date range and focus on the ending
balance.
Balances in subcategories can be re-created by using the finance document printed out prior to the transition and using the Transfers function in MLS. To access the Transfers function in MLS:
1. Go to the Finances menu and click More. Then click Enter Transfers.
2. Add a reason for the transfer, such as "Re-creating subcategory balances."
3. Move amounts from categories in "Transfer source" (left side) to categories in "Destination" (right side).
4. The category totals at the bottom should match.
5. Click Save to save the transfer.
6. Saved transfers cannot be undone. An opposite transfer must be entered to reverse the previous incorrect transfer.
Is that right? But what do I use as the transfer source/destination when doing this for "Other:" categories?

Do I do it like this:

Transfer source: "Other:" category that has too much money
Transfer destination: ????

I ask because I felt like I understood everything before but now I am confused again. I didn't expect our "Other:" categories/accounts to go from zero dollars to an amount now showing they have money in them and so I just want to make sure I correct these balances properly.

Thanks~!
shawnl

Post by shawnl »

You are on the right track. The Transfer destination is the category that doesn't have enough money.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

coloradotechie wrote:Note: I read the "CUBS is live" message and I still have a question (well, in fact, I have a BUNCH of questions but I thought I would create a separate thread for each question so as to keep things short and simple).

Question: Our "Other:" categories no longer show what they used to have in them, what do I do?

Possible answer (from page 5 of 9 of the Message I printed out from CHQ):
Is that right? But what do I use as the transfer source/destination when doing this for "Other:" categories?

Do I do it like this:

Transfer source: "Other:" category that has too much money
Transfer destination: ????

I ask because I felt like I understood everything before but now I am confused again. I didn't expect our "Other:" categories/accounts to go from zero dollars to an amount now showing they have money in them and so I just want to make sure I correct these balances properly.

Thanks~!
Just out of curiosity, did the total in your Other category after the transition match the total in your Other category before the transition. I seem to have lost a few hundred dollars in the conversion.
coloradotechie-p40

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

nutterb wrote:Just out of curiosity, did the total in your Other category after the transition match the total in your Other category before the transition. I seem to have lost a few hundred dollars in the conversion.
Yeah... we lost $192.13 in the conversion when you add all the "Other:" categories together.

New question: What do I do now that we "lost" money? There must be some way to reconcile this? (I say "lost" in quotes because I'm not sure what to call it... there must be a way to explain the $192.13).

Thanks~!
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

nutterb wrote:Just out of curiosity, did the total in your Other category after the transition match the total in your Other category before the transition. I seem to have lost a few hundred dollars in the conversion.
I'm not the OP, but my Other account seems to have the same amount of money in it after the conversion. Looks like you'll have to dig through the transaction list to maybe find a transaction you somehow missed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coloradotechie wrote:Yeah... we lost $192.13 in the conversion when you add all the "Other:" categories together.

New question: What do I do now that we "lost" money? There must be some way to reconcile this? (I say "lost" in quotes because I'm not sure what to call it... there must be a way to explain the $192.13).
None of us has seen an actual new unit financial statement after the CUBS transition. Theoretically, the statement will contain action items to help us resolve any differences. It's possible that your 192.13 will show up on that statement. So one approach is to wait until sometime next week when the statement arrives and see what it says.

However, I would note that for the two wards I've worked with as well as the stake account, we were fortunate to have the total in Other to be correct, so once we made transfers to the subcategories from the parent category, the parent category's balance went to 0 and all the subcategories were correct.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cferguso55

Post by cferguso55 »

I had the same problem with the Stake account. I had a $44.00 difference. $33.00 was for expenses posted by CHQ after the 17th.

I am still looking for the $11.00.
jeffadams

Post by jeffadams »

We are having some of these same issues in our ward. Our Other category after doing transfers to correct some of the subcategories is still out of balance by $87.70. Somehow we lost that money. Not sure where it went.

Our budget category is also out of balance by about $148 (we found that $62 were charges from the distribution center after 10/17). That still leaves it off by about $86. We then dived into that a little more and found that we had voided a check in December 2008 that was issued the beginning of December 2006. Not sure why it took so long to escheat, this is before my time as the ward clerk. So in our transaction history we show the adjustment of $22 from the church but we do not show the orginal check from 2006 to offset against the adjustment since the history is not in MLS anymore for 2006 besides the ending balances.

Same issue with the fast offering category as with the budget category (voided an old check). We are off about $45.

So we still have the $87.70 in other and about $64 in the budget that we have not been able to reconcile.

One thing that I did notice, after comparing reports and past reconciliations, is that these differences seem to be beginning balance problems.

I am not sure how to fix the $22 or $45 problem that we have found...
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

In my situation, I had put a lot of effort last year to eliminate all but two subcategories in the Other account. For some of the subcategories, I could find no documentation for why the category ever existed. Under advisement from the stake clerk, I transferred any unexplainable amounts into the Girls Camp subcategory. All those categories ahve been returned in the transition with balances. So I'm not sure how they have money in them again, where it came from, or what I did wrong to not eliminate those subcategories before.

I guess I just wasn't as clever as I thought I had been.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nutterb wrote:So I'm not sure how they have money in them again, where it came from, or what I did wrong to not eliminate those subcategories before.

I guess I just wasn't as clever as I thought I had been.
In the transition, every subcategory that had any activity in the current data of MLS (which goes back to 1 Jan 2007 in the US) reappeared, even if it had previously had a zero balance and had been deactivated. So some of these categories may seem like ancient history, but they came back to life in the conversion, and many of them even had balances that showed up. I believe the balances showed up because deposits over the last 4 years tended to keep their subcategories, but expenses did not.

I doubt that you did anything wrong -- it sounds to me like you did everything you should have under the old system. You cannot completely eliminate any category from MLS until the retention period (3 years plus current year in the US) has expired. One unfortunate part of this transition is that you may have been just a couple of months away from some of those ancient categories going away (if their last activity was in 2007), but now if you create any new transfers to clear out these balances, the clock will be reset, and those unused categories can't go away until 1 Jan 2014 at the earliest.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”