CUBS: Missing a Ward Missionary subcategory

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
neffs

Post by neffs »

We had a donation from a parent who's son is on a mission; however, that son no longer shows up in the ward mission. We have 2 other missionaries that show up. What do I need to do to get that missionary back into our ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Neffites wrote:We had a donation from a parent who's son is on a mission; however, that son no longer shows up in the ward mission. We have 2 other missionaries that show up. What do I need to do to get that missionary back into our ward?
Is his mission coming to a end?

I'd suggest calling Local Unit Support and discussing the situation with them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:Is his mission coming to a end?

I'd suggest calling Local Unit Support and discussing the situation with them.
My guess is that Local Unit Support is going to be totally swamped this week with all the CUBS transition issues, but it's worth a try.

To clarify the "end of mission question": in most cases, an elder's ward is charged 24 payments. The first one comes out of the the ward missionary fund in the first week of the month the missionary enters the MTC. So if a missionary starts his mission on 30 Sep 2008, the first payment will be charged something like 5 Sep 2008. The last payment will be charged something like 4 Aug 2010.

Sometimes parents and clerks get confused because the missionary might have around two months left after the last payment is charged, so they think they still need to make a Sep 2010 payment (and don't find out until sometime in August that there was no Sep 2010 charge). This is particularly tricky if a missionary's family moved into the ward in the middle of the mission, and you don't have a full payment history.

Also, you should check to make sure that monthly payments were indeed charged to your ward previously -- that is an indication that the Missionary Department officially considers the missionary to be serving from your ward.

If you've checked out both those issues, then you'll have to contact Support to have them straighten out the account -- you can't create subcategories of Ward Missionary Fund under CUBS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Neffites wrote:We had a donation from a parent who's son is on a mission; however, that son no longer shows up in the ward mission. We have 2 other missionaries that show up. What do I need to do to get that missionary back into our ward?
What do you mean by "no longer shows up"? Is he not appearing on your CUFS or does he no longer show as a subcategory under Ward Missionary Fund?

If the latter, I would be patient and wait for CUBS to automatically set up the sub-account for him. Per the final instructions we received, you won't be able to create a sub-account for him. For now, store donations in the top-level ward missionary category and when the sub-category appears, transfer the funds to the subcategory.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:If the latter, I would be patient and wait for CUBS to automatically set up the sub-account for him. Per the final instructions we received, you won't be able to create a sub-account for him. For now, store donations in the top-level ward missionary category and when the sub-category appears, transfer the funds to the subcategory.
Why would that missionary's subcategory magically show up at some point in the future with no further action? It seems to me that if the other missionaries automatically showed up as subcategories of Ward Missionary Fund, then this other one is not going to show up unless you contact someone in Local Unit Support to help make it appear (assuming it really should be there).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Why would that missionary's subcategory magically show up at some point in the future with no further action?
Perhaps it magically appears when the deduction is taken - in which case it will show up sometime next week.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:Why would that missionary's subcategory magically show up at some point in the future with no further action? It seems to me that if the other missionaries automatically showed up as subcategories of Ward Missionary Fund, then this other one is not going to show up unless you contact someone in Local Unit Support to help make it appear (assuming it really should be there).
Because that is how missionary fund subcategories work in CUBS. The ward no longer has the capability of adding/editing Ward Missionary Fund sub-categories. See the CUBS transition message:
A subcategory for each missionary will automatically appear in MLS for missionaries serving from the ward as indicated from the Missionary Department. Wards will not be able to modify or set up these manually. As new missionaries are called, the Missionary Department will notify the Finance department and new subcategories will appear in the MLS system for the wards.

Each month Church headquarters withdraws a monthly amount for each single full-time proselytizing missionary serving from the ward. The missionary withdrawal amount will be automatically recorded in MLS. The clerk will not have to manually enter the amount in MLS as was previously required. If donations for a particular missionary are received prior to having a subcategory for the missionary set up through the Missionary Department, the ward should record those donations in the Ward Missionary category. Such donations may be later transferred to the specific missionary's subcategory after it has been automatically set up.
This makes me curious how long ago this missionary left. This could be our test to find out how long it takes for the new missionary subcategories to automatically appear. I also wonder - had any donations been made to this subcategory pre-CUBS? If not, I can see why it got removed and the others stayed. The only categories that appear to have made it through the CUBS transition are the ones that had income (been deposited to).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Because that is how missionary fund subcategories work in CUBS. The ward no longer has the capability of adding/editing Ward Missionary Fund sub-categories. See the CUBS transition message:
Of course I understand that the ward can't add or edit Ward Missionary Fund subcategories, and that these categories will be added automatically.

However, I see no justification in any documentation for the assumption that some missionary subcategories for missionaries already serving in the field will appear at the time of the CUBS transition, and others will just magically appear at some later date. That is the suggestion I was replying to. I stand by my statement.
crislapi wrote:The only categories that appear to have made it through the CUBS transition are the ones that had income (been deposited to).
That's certainly not the case for my units. A subcategory showed up for a sister who is still three months away from leaving, and for whom no donations have been made.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown wrote:Of course I understand that the ward can't add or edit Ward Missionary Fund subcategories, and that these categories will be added automatically.
I understand that you do, but not everyone reading the thread does. I was trying to be complete.
Alan_Brown wrote:That's certainly not the case for my units. A subcategory showed up for a sister who is still three months away from leaving, and for whom no donations have been made.
And hence the discussion. As more people share their experiences, we'll get a better picture of how CUBS behaves.
neffs

Post by neffs »

RussellHltn wrote:Is his mission coming to a end?
No, he has been out about a year. However, one of the missionaries that had a subcategory will be home tomorrow.
crislapi wrote:What do you mean by "no longer shows up"? Is he not appearing on your CUFS or does he no longer show as a subcategory under Ward Missionary Fund?
He is not appearing on CUBS or as a subcategory under Ward Missionary Fund.
crislapi wrote: I also wonder - had any donations been made to this subcategory pre-CUBS? If not, I can see why it got removed and the others stayed. The only categories that appear to have made it through the CUBS transition are the ones that had income (been deposited to).
I did go back and look at the "Donations" report from 10/17/10 and it shows an additional donation to his name. However, looking at the report from 10/24/10 that same donation is attributed to "Ward Missionary Fund". His name is not found on the report anywhere.
Alan_Brown wrote:
Also, you should check to make sure that monthly payments were indeed charged to your ward previously -- that is an indication that the Missionary Department officially considers the missionary to be serving from your ward.
There are "mission payment"s shown for the other 2 elders on the 10/17/10 expense report, but none for this elder. Same thing on the 10/24/10 expense report.

The Stake realigned the boundaries in several of our wards in August. The 2 elders that have subcategories listed were in our ward before any changes. The elder that does not have a subcategory was in a different ward prior to the boundary changes. I would bet that the Missionary Department still has him listed in his previous ward. If that is the case, how should I call Local Unit Support to resolve it?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”