New Church Handbook Question

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ohiomatt-p40

New Church Handbook Question

Post by ohiomatt-p40 »

If I have a branch, how many Handbooks 1 and Handbooks 2 should I be receiving? I ask in regards to the November 2010 leadership training. Our branch only received five.

Additionally, if I have a ward, how many Handbooks 1 and Handbooks 2 should I be receiving?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest looking at the first few pages of the old handbook (since we're not supposed to be looking at the new one yet). It gives details on who is supposed to have a handbook.

IIRC, Bishop, the two councilors. The Executive Secretary and Ward clerk share a office copy. But that's only 4.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ohiomatt-p40

Post by ohiomatt-p40 »

Your response is for Handbook 1, but what about Handbook 2. What is the direction? It's chicken and egg, how am I supposed to know if we got two few books for the new edition, unless I'm told how many we're supposed to be getting at a branch.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ohiomatt wrote:What is the direction? It's chicken and egg, how am I supposed to know if we got two few books for the new edition, unless I'm told how many we're supposed to be getting at a branch.
You won't know until November 13th. The direction is not to open the new handbook until then.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

lajackson wrote:The direction is not to open the new handbook until then.
the direction was actually not to 'distribute' the new handbooks until then.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Every unit in my stake received a case. Generally it seems they got about 4 book 1's and about 28 book 2's. I have no idea what we are going to do with that many book 2's, so I'm quite interested in this training meeting.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

It may surprise you as to how many people are going to need Book 2 as part of their leadership callings, and in the end it is very possible it may seem like not enough, even though the distribution list will say who and what callings get the full book.

What's left now is whether there will be eventual separate sections and if so what callings will have them. Again I'm in family history at present with occasional teaching matters. Under the present, soon to be old handbooks, I got sections 9 and 16. A sunday school teacher typically got section 16, Aaronic priesthood advisors commonly got section 2 and 16, and so forth.

But from what I'm seeing here and elsewhere on this forum, this is going to be a major step forward for the Church, and will be the case with each revision of both handbooks going forward.
dcampbell

Distribution on letter

Post by dcampbell »

Our Bishop asked me to put lables on all of the books and indicated the distribution list is on the back of the letter included in the box with the handbooks. My understanding is the president and counselors of each organization will get a Book 2. The instruction we received was the handbooks were to be distributed right before the meeting, so we will need to know who gets them before the meeting starts. I can verify the distribution list is available when I go into the office...
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Based on that, here's what I am thinking:

Bishopric: 3
Executive Secretary and Ward Clerk: 1 each
High Priests Group Leadership: 3
Elders Quorum Presidency: 3
Relief Society Presidency: 3
Young Men Presidency: 3
Young Women Presidency: 3 (right name for calling?)
Primary Presidency: 3
Ward Mission Leader: 1
Office copies: not known, at least one though.

That tells me at least 25 so far, am I missing a calling or two that one would go to?
dcampbell

Post by dcampbell »

JamesAnderson wrote:Based on that, here's what I am thinking:

Bishopric: 3
Executive Secretary and Ward Clerk: 1 each
High Priests Group Leadership: 3
Elders Quorum Presidency: 3
Relief Society Presidency: 3
Young Men Presidency: 3
Young Women Presidency: 3 (right name for calling?)
Primary Presidency: 3
Ward Mission Leader: 1
Office copies: not known, at least one though.

That tells me at least 25 so far, am I missing a calling or two that one would go to?

And Sunday School Presidency...

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”