Lack of colour Meetinghouse communication

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
stephen500

Lack of colour Meetinghouse communication

Post by stephen500 »

A problem with have is the lack of colour when we use the Sony EVI-D70, on the monitor it is fine, but when shown on http://stream.lds.org/
it is very lacking in colour. This is not helped by the speaker wearing a white shirt, set against a pale background behind the pulpit.
Somehow for Stake conf I can't see the speakers changing from a white shirt! So is there any way we can increase the colour of the broadcast?
shanebankhead

Post by shanebankhead »

Our broadcast signal often loses some color and appears washed out. However in our case I believe it has more to do with our building distribution systems than the actual broadcast. In any case, we usually just end up adjusting the color settings on the projector at the receiving location.

However, we use a different broadcast method, so I'm not as familiar with the new church webcast solution. I'd be curious whether it has the capability to do some basic video adjustments. Maybe it's something you can do on your video capture card?
allenjblodgett

New lds.org

Post by allenjblodgett »

On the new lds.org there seems to be a much better video stream...the only problem is its flash based.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

some possible helpful tips.
1) Our STS had his own video amplifier which he connected via co ax connection..This slightly increased the depth in colour.
2) Two huge side curtains have now been drawn and when the camera is in use we have to make sure that in wide angle shots that lights are not in shot.

With cameras on autofocus the camera loses depth in colour if the light source is in shot, so by ensuring the light source is out of shot increases its depth.
These tips improved our colour broadcast.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

stephen500 wrote:A problem with have is the lack of colour when we use the Sony EVI-D70, on the monitor it is fine, but when shown on http://stream.lds.org/
it is very lacking in colour. This is not helped by the speaker wearing a white shirt, set against a pale background behind the pulpit.
Somehow for Stake conf I can't see the speakers changing from a white shirt! So is there any way we can increase the colour of the broadcast?
I have some questions about your set up. I assume that what you are doing is taking the composite video feed (Yellow RCA) form the back of the Webcast Communicator and plugging it into one of your existing modulators that would normally be used for a chapel camera. If this is the case, what I believe is going on , is that your modulator is over driven. The Sony camera in your local are is darker that what comes in over the stream. So the stream with the white shows video tearing. To adjust this, find the knob on the modulator labeled video level, and turn it to the left till the tearing goes away.
Note that when you hook it back to the camera it may be to dark and you might need to adjust the video level back up. For a more permanent solution have your FM group order and install and additional Video modulator.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”