Webcast equipment

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
Dougvf-p40

Webcast equipment

Post by Dougvf-p40 »

I have been reading the forums about what is working, not working, and recommended. Here is a list of equipment that I have put together to create a webcast based on input I could find on the websites and forum messages. Can anyone confirm that this is all the equipment that I need (except for misc cables) to get a good solution for SENDING a webcast? Is this the Ideal setup?

Dell Desk top PC – Windows 7 64 bit
Windows Media Encoder 64 bit version
Sony DCR HC52 camera (send to Osprey 210 card)
Osprey 210 Video Capture card
Sure PG58 microphone (send to Mixer)
Mackie 402 VLZ3 mixer (send to Osprey 210 card)
Webcast software version 2.1

I am struggling to find a good solution that will work and any help or recommendations would be appreciated. I have tried using USB devices connected to a laptop but am having a very difficult time getting this to work.
starkjs
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by starkjs »

Hi Doug-- The setup you outline should work well although I would recommend the 32 bit OS and encoder due to it being more thoroughly tested. As per getting a USB device to work; we have tested, and have had success with the Roxio Easy VHS-to-DVD, Diamond VC600, Diamond VC500, and EasyCap. They often need the most up to date drivers to work though. We have also seen the new 3.0 beta software working much better with these devices. You can learn more about the beta here.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

We have the Osprey 210 Video Capture card in our webcasting computer. The video capture works great but the sound input on the card does not work with Webcast 2.1. The software only allows the sound input to come from the computer microphone jack. It then delays the video encoding just enough to have a lip sync problem. I am hoping to try the new 3.0 Beta and it allows selection of the Osprey sound jack. Will try this week.

I highly recommend the Sony D-70 camera. It has both s-video and composite outputs. Remotely controlled with IR remote or via a RS422 connection to a computer. It is expensive.

I agree that you go with 32 bit.

I heard today that Meeting House Webcast v3 on a Windows 7 machine requires a codex/driver? that is included in XP but not part of Windows 7 and you have to buy it ($150?). I have not confirmed this.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

PaulBB1 wrote:I heard today that Meeting House Webcast v3 on a Windows 7 machine requires a codex/driver? that is included in XP but not part of Windows 7 and you have to buy it ($150?). I have not confirmed this.
The only requirements for my Win7 x64 installation were free downloads from Microsoft.com
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

I assume it is the free version? How long will it webcast. The MS website says screen capture is for only 10 minute clips.
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/pro ... rview.aspx
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
lpuster

Consider the Webcast Communicator

Post by lpuster »

The solution we chose was the Meetinghouse Webcast Communicator and Webcast Receivers from the Distribution center. We also used the EVI-D70 camera, which works very well. Besides, the Webcast Communicator can receive audio from the building's PA system, so a separate microphone is not required.

Our solution may be more expensive than your approach. A notebook computer is half the cost of the Webcast Communicator. However, computers being what they are, there will be technical problems down the road and SLC may not be able to provide much support if you use a computer, e.g. blue screen of death. Another consideration is the availability of people with sufficient expertise to set up and maintain the equipment in the future. It would be a shame if a Webcast had to be canceled if both of the people who knew how to use it were unexpectedly unavailable, or had moved away.

The Meetinghouse Communicator/Webcast Receiver setup is easy to use and can be explained over the phone if required. It also keeps the audio and video in synch.

If you use the Sony DCR HC52, someone will have to stand by the camera to show the speaker, then pan over to the choirster for the hymn, or zoom out when the choir sings. The D70 can be mounted on a volleyball pole above the heads of everyone and can be controlled remotely (see my earlier post).
Paulbb1

Webcast Equipment - Osprey card and 3.0

Post by Paulbb1 »

Ran more tests over the weekend and got the Osprey 210 sound to work. Works great.

Also, MHW 3.0 works with XP using Windows Expressions 4.0 free version. Ran for hours so there is no 10 minute limit.

I am cleaning up all my previous comments with our experience.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
starkjs
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by starkjs »

The 3.0 software on Windows 7 does not seem to work well with the VC500 or VC600. We would not recommend purchasing this device at this time.
maxmcgregor

Post by maxmcgregor »

Just getting ready to order the equipment for two buildings in our stake. I think I'm going to go with the Church based equipment just to keep it simple and avoid liabilty issues with personal computers, not too mention the risk of stability on personal systems. Does anyone know why the Webcast Receiver is not available on store.lds.org, but everything else is? I suppose I'll be calling the store support when I order to find out why, but thought I'd throw it out to the forum first.
Paulbb1

Webcast Equipment

Post by Paulbb1 »

My understanding is that few people were buying them because it is so easy to buy a cheaper computer and loading the Meeting House software. All you need is to add a video capture card ($150). There is another thread that discusses cards.
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”