Microphone Drawer

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
nsns

Microphone Drawer

Post by nsns »

In the eighties there was a small metall drawer with built-in microphone which was routinely installed in LDS church furniture. Anyone who remembers the manufacturer/ model?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you talking about for the sacrament table? I think they still use them. I don't remember any name on them. I'll have to look the next time I'm down there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nsns

Post by nsns »

RussellHltn wrote:Are you talking about for the sacrament table? I think they still use them. I don't remember any name on them. I'll have to look the next time I'm down there.
Thank you, "Sacrament table" was the useful keyword to find it on Google. It is an IVIE IM-10. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it on Ivie's homepage and have to ask them if it is still in production.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nsg wrote:Thank you, "Sacrament table" was the useful keyword to find it on Google. It is an IVIE IM-10. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it on Ivie's homepage and have to ask them if it is still in production.
Perhaps you can tell us why this of such interest. If you are in need of a replacement then I suggest you contact your Facilities Maintenance (FM) Manager since it is their responsibility to maintain the meetinghouses and equipment such as the Sacrament table microphone and audio.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

nsg wrote:Thank you, "Sacrament table" was the useful keyword to find it on Google. It is an IVIE IM-10. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it on Ivie's homepage and have to ask them if it is still in production.

Newer units do not have a drawer. The front cover folds down, uncovering and activating the microphone, and words are printed on the inside of the cover. I have not seen the unit with the drawer in many years.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Newer units do not have a drawer. The front cover folds down, uncovering and activating the microphone, and words are printed on the inside of the cover. I have not seen the unit with the drawer in many years.
Ah! Thanks for the correction. You're right. I had forgotten about the drawer mechanism. I think they went away during renovations in part due to the noise of sliding the tray before the mic shut off. The fold down door is simpler and quieter.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

we still have a sliding drawer - all you need to do is draw a line across the drawer at the point just after when the mic turns on - and instruct people to only open it as far as the line... all is well :)
carljokl

Post by carljokl »

The Drawer models seems to be common place in the UK even on the modern chapels. Perhaps we are just behind the information curve as ever.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Carl Jokl wrote:The Drawer models seems to be common place in the UK even on the modern chapels. Perhaps we are just behind the information curve as ever.
I think it may just have to do with what is available. When the fold-down door broke in one of our meetinghouses, a drawer showed up again.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Sacrement Mics

Post by StevePoulsen »

There are various manufactures of the sound system componets any more in the USA the standards are BSS, Rane, and Ivie. at the time drawer was introduced and installed it was the standard, andy more, the Fold Down is the standard, and the only one currently manufactured by any of the major suppliers. When the sound systems are replaced, these drawers are replaced with the fold down model, and all newly constructed buildings start out with the fold down model to begin with.
If you had a fold down and it was replaced with a drawer model, it is because that is what your FM Group, or the contractor happened to have lying arround at that moment.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”