New Church Handbook of Instructions 2010?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dannykos wrote:just got the new handbooks this week!! Going to give them a good read tonight, and see what's changed…
Everyone should note that the Church sent out an original notice on 1 Sep 2010 saying that handbooks should not be distributed until the November 13 Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting. Then the Presidency of the Seventy sent a followup notice on 30 Sep 2010 saying "[font=&quot]Please remind your bishops and branch presidents that the handbooks are not to be distributed to anyone prior to November 13, nor should they be used in any leadership training before then.[/font]"

So no one should even think about posting even any hints about what might have changed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

i know…i know :)
atticusewig

CHI Change Document in the Works ?

Post by atticusewig »

While I'm sure it will be discussed in the Worldwide Leadership Training some
of the changes the new CHI enacts, can anyone tell me if someone at the
church is working on a document of some kind that lists general changes ?

For example a list that might go chapter-by-chapter and say something like:

Chapter 82 - Policies regarding the use of candy to get Primary-aged children
to obey in church have changed, please see page 837.
Chapter 83 - No Change.
Chapter 84 - New Policies regarding tin-foil hats.

-or- perhaps even a more simple list

Chapter 82-Change
Chapter 83-No Change
Chapter 84-New policies

Such a list will be invaluable to the training of leaders, and if the church
isn't working on one; perhaps the Community can put together such a
list (although probably would have to be in the more simple format listed
above to follow forum guidelines), once the training has taken place. By
identifying which parts of the CHI have changed, the list would help leaders
focus their study on the new policies and procedures.

- Atticus
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

As I was reading through both books last night - I did wonder why they didn't mark up paragraphs/sections that had changed… but then it occurred to me - that it's probably to encourage everyone to re-read the entire book.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

atticusewig wrote:While I'm sure it will be discussed in the Worldwide Leadership Training some of the changes the new CHI enacts, can anyone tell me if someone at the church is working on a document of some kind that lists general changes ? . . .

By identifying which parts of the CHI have changed, the list would help leaders focus their study on the new policies and procedures.

When the last handbook was released, this same request was made. The answer was that a document showing what changed would be almost as large as the Handbook.

At the satellite training meeting where training was provided on the current Handbook, we were instructed to read every page of the then new Handbook as if it had been rewritten entirely. As we carefully did so, we discovered that, indeed, there were changes on almost every page.

I am looking forward to the broadcast on November 13th (unless I am released this Sunday -- that would be ok, too).

Until then, as instructed, our handbooks are still in the box and none of us have cracked the cover(s). We are following the instructions of the First Presidency.

We were very surprised and disappointed that the Presidency of the Seventy needed to send additional instructions.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

lajackson wrote:When the last handbook was released, this same request was made. The answer was that a document showing what changed would be almost as large as the Handbook.
Many of the technical documents I use simply mark changed portions with a vertical bar in the margin. It adds nothing to the size of the document and makes it easy to know what to review carefully.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

rpyne wrote:Many of the technical documents I use simply mark changed portions with a vertical bar in the margin. It adds nothing to the size of the document and makes it easy to know what to review carefully.
Trouble is - people tend to take the path of least resistance, and would just read the paragraphs marked.

This way they have a choice. Either read it all, or read none.
atticusewig

Book 2 Sections coming ?

Post by atticusewig »

Has anyone heard if Sections of Book 2 will be produced like they were in the
past ? For example, a section for Music, a section for Primary, a section for
Scouting - that sort of thing ? Or is the new policy going to be full copies of
Book 2 for each auxilllary presidency from now on ?

- Atticus
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

well all I know is that the box I got sent has nothing but book 1 and book 2 in - and that everyone invited to the meeting will receive a copy, so that seems fairly conclusive to me.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I would think there would be sections printed separately, for those that don't need the full book 2, I'm in a calling where that is what I use now.

I think the printed separate sections will come a little later, if they do, simply because of the logistics involved in printing out the separate sections and getting them distributed, while it is normally not that hard, it does take some effort to get a large number of different items like this ready on the printing and distribution end.

Return to “General Discussions”