CUBS Transition Period Question

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
outback-p40

CUBS Transition Period Question

Post by outback-p40 »

I have a very very basic question, as it pertains to the week during the transition from the 17th to the 24th. Asking us to NOT make changes to the finance side during this period. Does that include NOT Writing Checks? I think I have myself wrapped around this issue.

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

outback wrote:I have a very very basic question, as it pertains to the week during the transition from the 17th to the 24th. Asking us to NOT make changes to the finance side during this period. Does that include NOT Writing Checks? I think I have myself wrapped around this issue.
Yes, we cannot write and transmit checks using normal procedures during that transition week.

However, you can still follow the Emergency check writing procedures if an issue arises that couldn't be handled by the 17th and can't wait until the 24th.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

From my understanding, the finance portion of MLS is unavailable during the week starting late Sunday evening on the 17th until sometime Sunday morning the 24th. In other words, everyone is locked out of the finance side of MLS. All other functions in MLS are still usable however.

If it is absolutely necessary to write a check, I believe there are procedures in the MLS manual as well as some instruction on the clerk wiki.

Oops, Alan beat me to it. Follow his instructions above.
outback-p40

Post by outback-p40 »

TY so much.
86Bengal-p40

Emergency check writing

Post by 86Bengal-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Yes, we cannot write and transmit checks using normal procedures during that transition week.

However, you can still follow the Emergency check writing procedures if an issue arises that couldn't be handled by the 17th and can't wait until the 24th.
Pilotfly wrote:From my understanding, the finance portion of MLS is unavailable during the week starting late Sunday evening on the 17th until sometime Sunday morning the 24th. In other words, everyone is locked out of the finance side of MLS. All other functions in MLS are still usable however.
Help me out with one more clarification: If we do find ourselves in a situation where a check is urgently needed, and we follow the Emergency Check Writing Procedures, must we hand write the check as implied above?

Or, can we still print the check using MLS, knowing that it must be re-entered into MLS after the 24th once CUBS is activated? (This was implied in the August CUBS discussions: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5436)
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

86Bengal wrote:Help me out with one more clarification: If we do find ourselves in a situation where a check is urgently needed, and we follow the Emergency Check Writing Procedures, must we hand write the check as implied above?

Or, can we still print the check using MLS, knowing that it must be re-entered into MLS after the 24th once CUBS is activated? (This was implied in the August CUBS discussions: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5436)
You must hand write the check. As I understand the latest instructions, you won't even be able to go into the financial portion of MLS during the lockout. The system won't allow you in.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

The emergency check writing procedure might not work this week either. Even LUS does not have access to finances this week, so they won't be able to enter a check into the system either.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

crislapi wrote:You must hand write the check. As I understand the latest instructions, you won't even be able to go into the financial portion of MLS during the lockout. The system won't allow you in.

While I was at the stake center yesterday to input some temple recommends I clicked on the Finance section and a pop-up note appears that states you do not have access until next Sunday. So there is no way to enter any financial data nor enter and process a check. So follow the instructions outlined in the Emergency Check Writing Procedures. If absolutely necessary that a check must be written by all means contact Church MLS folks and let them know so the check won't "bounce".
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Pilotfly wrote:... So there is no way to enter any financial data nor enter and process a check. So follow the instructions outlined in the Emergency Check Writing Procedures. If absolutely necessary that a check must be written by all means contact Church MLS folks and let them know so the check won't "bounce".
Again, I don't even think the Emergency Check Writing Procedures will work this week either. From the instructions, a clerk would need to "telephone the administration office to have the check manually entered". This is not an option because they don't have access to financial info this week either.

As for handwritten checks, please be aware of this little item:
"Handwritten checks should be reserved for true emergency situations only when approved by the bishop or stake president."

There are very few if any expenses that I can think of that are so important they cannot wait a week (five days now).

In my time as a clerk, I have only seen one check get through before being transmitted. The check was still covered, but showed up in the statement padded with 9's instead of 0's in front of the check number.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I also was locked out of the finances, which is most inconvenient for me. I wasn't able to get to the church on Sunday due to delayed travel plans, and my assistant wasn't there either. The end result is I don't have the reports I was supposed to print off on Sunday.

Now, to go down a tangent, would I be able to reconstruct the necessary reports from the latest CUFS and accounting for any financial transmissions since the beginning of October. I have all of those records on paper, and I only have one subcategory in Ward Missionary carrying a balance and one subcategory in Other carrying a balance.

It's truly inconvenient to do it this way, but are there any other things in my reasoning I'll need to take into consideration to make a proper comparison?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”