Replacement computers, how to??

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lorraine1950

Replacement computers, how to??

Post by lorraine1950 »

I'm the alleged Stake Assistant Clerk-Technology, evidence of Heavenly Father's sense of humor. I'm not a computer guy, and not literate with the machines other than MLS, I'm also the SAC-Membership.
Our Stake recently received a replacement CPU and keyboard for the Stake administrative computer, no monitor or printer. I'm pretty confident I can switch over MLS, as I've had some experience reloading it in ward computers after some ooopps'es.
However, there are files in "documents" and also "calendar" documents and software that will need to be moved from old to new computer, many of which are confidential. I asked the Stake Clerk about it, and after conferring with President, I was told to go ahead and do the change, and not worry about seeing the confidential documents.
How do I do that? How do I move all those documents and software from old to new computer?
The new machine has no printed booklets or list with it that I can find listing what software is already on it, if any. What software should be on the new machine?
How do I set up administrator, etc. on new computer?
Can someone walk me through it, please? I've done a search on this forum and the tech wiki, with no satisfactory results.
HELP!! :confused:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:However, there are files in "documents" and also "calendar" documents and software that will need to be moved from old to new computer, many of which are confidential. I asked the Stake Clerk about it, and after conferring with President, I was told to go ahead and do the change, and not worry about seeing the confidential documents.
How do I do that? How do I move all those documents and software from old to new computer?
The easiest way is to copy the files to a flash drive and from there to the new computer. According to policy, those confidential files shouldn't be on the hard drive, but should simply be on removable media (such as a flash drive) that can be removed and locked more securely. But if your stake president has directed you to do it, then I guess you need to do it.
E&LDow wrote:The new machine has no printed booklets or list with it that I can find listing what software is already on it, if any. What software should be on the new machine?
How do I set up administrator, etc. on new computer?
Can someone walk me through it, please? I've done a search on this forum and the tech wiki, with no satisfactory results.
You didn't mention what mode the computer is. There are instructions on the wiki at Dell 740 installation instructions that explain all these questions, step by step. Even if you don't have a Dell 740, I would think that most if not all of the steps would still apply. I'd recommend that you start there and then come back here with any questions that may arise.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks, Alan, for the fast reply. You bring up another question I have.
The new machine is a Dell optiplex 580, manuf date is 8/19/10. It's not the Model 740 that my printed instructions tell me is what the Church is buying and what to expect. should I send it back for a model 740, or just go with what I got?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Go with what you have. However, check to see if the computer is Windows XP or Windows 7. I wouldn't recommend using Windows 7 just yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks. If it is Windows 7, are you saying don't make the switch to the new computer? How can I use the new computer, if it has Win7, without using Win7?
sorry to be a pest, but I really know nothing about this stuff.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Using Windows 7 at this time would complicate things. If it is Win 7, perhaps the best thing is to simply put the new machine on the shelf until MLS 3.3 is released.

Otherwise, you've either got to deal with MLS beta or downgrade the computer to WinXP. Either way, it's more work with some risks. If you're not up for the task, waiting seems like the best choice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks for the advice. I'll check into it and if it's Win7 I'll wait.
Any idea when the MLS3.3 is coming out? Is it going to be in a week or two? Are the new financial changes part of that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

E&LDow wrote:Any idea when the MLS3.3 is coming out?
MLS 3.3 has not yet been released as a beta. So I think it's going to be more then a couple of weeks before it's ready for general release.

MLS 3.2.3 has just come out - it's part of the new financial changes.

lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

OOhhh, now I am in a quandery.We got the new machine because the old one is having problems. I don't know if we can wait very long before the old one goes kaflooey.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In that case I'd suggest you ask someone in your stake for help. It's not that hard to load WinXP, but if you're not comfortable doing it, then you may need someone local who can show you how.

But the basic steps are: Find WinXP CD, locate a valid XP license, insert CD, power on computer. It should guide you from there.

Return to “Clerk Computers”