Priesthood Session of General Conference

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Keron

Priesthood Session of General Conference

Post by Keron »

What is the real reason for not streamlining the priesthood session of General Conference over the internet? IF I had a satellite dish could I have seen the session at home? Yes I like being around the priesthood but usually we go to the priesthood session and then straight home afterward. I don't have a big problem with it, as I normally accept church policies and trends but I am curious.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keron wrote:What is the real reason for not streamlining the priesthood session of General Conference over the internet?
To be honest, I don't think we know the answer. I have a personal theory, but it's speculative at best (and not really appropriate for a technical forum).
Keron wrote:IF I had a satellite dish could I have seen the session at home?
Not likely. The church doesn't send the Priesthood feed outside of the church satellite system, and (at least from what I've seen in the past) what is on the church system is encrypted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Until recently, the church wouldn't post audio nor video of the Priesthood Session online. But the meeting was included in the DVD set. Again, I can only speculate on the reason for the change. As a person who has a lot of time to listen on an iPod compared to the time I have to sit and read, this change is a blessing.
Keron

Post by Keron »

:)Fair enough no use speculating. And I am 01 of the 10 that knows RussellHltn
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Keron,

I don't think you are alone about wondering why it is like that but I too guess it is just one of those things we will have to accept.

Another twist to it all is that for time zones nearer to GMT+0 and above then it is interesting that the priesthood session is available to watch online BEFORE it is being rebroadcasted via satellite when everyone gathers together for it.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

For those wondering, Yes the priesthood session of General conference is encrypted, and with the exception of limited streaming. it is not available outside of the church's satellite network. This is actually the only session of conference that is broadcast via an encrypted signal.

So, I would not recommend an attempt at watching it form home over the satellite network, as the encryption key is site specific, and changes about every 5 minutes during the broadcast, so even if you were able to get it once chances are high that you would not be able to get the next segment.

Return to “General Discussions”