Re-entering missing financial data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
craiggsmith

Re-entering missing financial data

Post by craiggsmith »

So we have some donation and disbursement data that was previously sent but was lost due to the restore problems outlined in my other thread. I believe we need this information in the system for a couple reasons. I found a thread from a couple years ago that said to just re-enter the donations and notify HQ that they are duplicates. Is this still the correct action to take? Is there any flag we can set directly in MLS? I assume disbursements would follow the same procedure.

Excuse my ignorance; I've read quite a bit on this site but still have a lot more to go. Where do I find the information on who to call?

Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

hemismith wrote:So we have some donation and disbursement data that was previously sent but was lost due to the restore problems outlined in my other thread. I believe we need this information in the system for a couple reasons. I found a thread from a couple years ago that said to just re-enter the donations and notify HQ that they are duplicates. Is this still the correct action to take? Is there any flag we can set directly in MLS? I assume disbursements would follow the same procedure.

Excuse my ignorance; I've read quite a bit on this site but still have a lot more to go. Where do I find the information on who to call?
Yes, you need to enter the missing donation and disbursement data; otherwise you won't be able to reconcile, and your year-end donor tax statements will be incorrect.

You need to contact Local Unit Support to let them know about the duplicate entries.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Be sure to include the ward clerk in the process. He's earned it!
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Alan_Brown, would he want to enter the missing disbursements as actual checks, but then just print them on blank paper or as a pdf or use the "not a check" option?

It seems like entering them as actual checks is the only way to get them back in the system as checks, but then the dates are wrong. Using the "not a check" option seems like that should work just fine. Any thoughts?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crislapi wrote:Alan_Brown, would he want to enter the missing disbursements as actual checks, but then just print them on blank paper or as a pdf or use the "not a check" option?

It seems like entering them as actual checks is the only way to get them back in the system as checks, but then the dates are wrong. Using the "not a check" option seems like that should work just fine. Any thoughts?
As long as the checks were once transmitted to CHQ, then the Not a Check option sounds like the best way. It lets you specify the correct date, and such entries don't cause any duplicate entries as far as CHQ can tell (they are only concerned about actual checks).

Of course, for donations, you don't have such an option, so you'll have to reenter the donation batches and you will have to call CHQ to explain the duplicate transmission.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:As long as the checks were once transmitted to CHQ, then the Not a Check option sounds like the best way. It lets you specify the correct date, and such entries don't cause any duplicate entries as far as CHQ can tell (they are only concerned about actual checks).

This is the way the help desk has asked us to do checks for two units that lost check data in the last few months. It saves CHQ from having to sort through the duplicates.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks very much everyone.

Yes, I'll let them do it.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”