Budget allocation for YSA - bug?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
crislapi

Budget allocation for YSA - bug?

Post by crislapi »

I'm going to try to avoid specifics, but as I prepare for the CUBS transition, I am trying to more exactly predict what the quarterly budget allowance allocations will be based on the quarterly reports stored in the stake MLS. We are a YSA stake, so I don't have to worry about primary (which might be experiencing the same problem). I am able to compute the dollar amount allocated for every category except YSA exactly (so General Budget, YM, YW and Primary).

My observation is that the number of YSA used in the Local Unit Budget Allowance Allocation (LUBAA) report does not match the numbers reported in the Quarterly Report. The ** next to the YSA category points to the following statement:
The Young Single Adult attendance figure is calculated by multiplying the number of single adults (ages 18-30) from membership records by the percent of sacrament meeting attendance from line 2 of the Quarterly Report.
Line 12 of the quarterly report (beginning in Q4-2009) is the total young single adults. It would therefore seem logical that the YSA allowance is (line 12) X (line 2) X (the dollar amount). However, (line 12) X (line 2), while generally close to the YSA number used to compute YSA allowance, is not exactly right all the time. It's generally +/- 1-2 of the number, but being off 3 is not uncommon and it's been off by as much as 9 (so far).

So for example, say my % sacrament attendance is 72.3% and line 12 is 201. I would expect the YSA allowance to be based on a predicted attendance of (.0723) X (201) = 145. For the sake of argument, let's say instead the LUBAA report shows it is using 148. What is causing the difference? How did they get 148?

I imagine the variability comes from how the Finance and Records department gets the total number of YSA. If they are computing this number themselves, then why why not have line 12 be that number instead of whatever it is currently? Otherwise, I'm prone to think it's a bug.

Long story short - it would be great if the quarterly report numbers matched the allocation report numbers in the YSA category. They already match in the other ones.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

crislapi wrote: So for example, say my % sacrament attendance is 72.3% and line 12 is 201. I would expect the YSA allowance to be based on a predicted attendance of (.0723) X (201) = 145. For the sake of argument, let's say instead the LUBAA report shows it is using 148. What is causing the difference? How did they get 148?
Could it be that they aren't rounding the sacrament attendance percentage, but using the num attending / total members * total YSA?
kh_design

Leaders YSA?

Post by kh_design »

Are all in attendance at YSA sacrament meetings Young Single Adults? Could it be the leaders in the Bishopric / Branch Presidency or visiting Stake Leaders who are in attendance at YSA sacrament meetings are not Young Single Adults? This would possibly account for being less by three.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kh_design wrote:Are all in attendance at YSA sacrament meetings Young Single Adults? Could it be the leaders in the Bishopric / Branch Presidency or visiting Stake Leaders who are in attendance at YSA sacrament meetings are not Young Single Adults? This would possibly account for being less by three.
I don't see how that can be the issue, since there is no counting of any specific categories of people at sacrament meetings. You only count total people, whether they are nonmembers, stake visitors, friends, family, vacationers, or ward members.

If the ward is 100% YSA, then the calculation of "sacrament meeting attendance" X "YSA" / "Total ward members" should be equivalent to "sacrament meeting attendance". But if the ward is not 100% YSA (perhaps someone is 31 years old, or got married, but their records are still in the ward), then that could be a factor (but doesn't explain the wide variations crislapi noted).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kh_design

100%?

Post by kh_design »

Alan_Brown wrote:If the ward is 100% YSA
Thank you for reinforcing my observation, a YSA unit by de facto has Priesthood leadership who are not Young Single Adults. With this in mind, I do see perhaps all in attendance at YSA sacrament meetings should be allocated YSA budget funds including the Priesthood leaders who are not Young Single Adults because they will most certainly be involved with and attend YSA activities that budget allocations fund.

Perhaps in conventional units with Youth and Primary ages 8-11 programs, the Youth leaders and Primary ages 8-11 leaders could also be be allocated budget funds in those categories. Based on the observations the leaders in these programs will certainly be involved with and attend these Youth and Primary ages 8-11 programs' activities that budget allocations fund.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I agree - people attend the YSA activities who are not YSA. However, who attends activities has no influence on the YSA budget allocation, which is the point at question here: why do my YSA allocation numbers not match the quarterly report numbers? YSA allocation numbers should be (% sacrament attendance) times (total number of YSA in the unit based on membership records). The quarterly report contains both of these numbers (see the original post). The Local Unit Budget Allowance Allocation report contains the actual number used for this disbursement category. They should match. Many do not.

I have backed out the actual percentages used. There does not appear to be a consistent pattern. I tried rounding the percentage. The difference, however, is so small that it rarely changes the end value.

Using the approach I do, my guess at last quarter's allocation was only off $75, so it's not the end of the world but it should match. Besides, that is an overall difference. Because some come out high and some come out low, the absolute difference is much higher. I don't have that number on me, however.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I emailed LUS with my question. Here is their reply:
The number of YSA on membership records is calculated the day we run our file, which varies each quarter. A general rule would be the number on membership records the 1st day of the allocation month. It won't always be the first day, but data from that day should give a fairly accurate number.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”