MLS vs. Windows 7

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

MLS vs. Windows 7

Post by lrawlins »

Hi all,

I just received a brand new Dell Optiplex 580 to replace an old Dell GX270 that was on it's last legs. The bad news is the new machine is running Windows 7.

Just in case anyone is wondering, no MLS will not run on Win 7 and it tells you just that.

Other than using the Win XP Install disk from another machine and reformatting the drive does anyone know of a work around this?

Thanks
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

lrawlins wrote:Hi all,

I just received a brand new Dell Optiplex 580 to replace an old Dell GX270 that was on it's last legs. The bad news is the new machine is running Windows 7.

Just in case anyone is wondering, no MLS will not run on Win 7 and it tells you just that.

Other than using the Win XP Install disk from another machine and reformatting the drive does anyone know of a work around this?

Thanks
You might want to keep tabs on this recent thread and wait until MLS 3.3 comes out of beta so that you can keep the Windows 7 installation: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5839
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

lrawlins wrote: Other than using the Win XP Install disk from another machine and reformatting the drive does anyone know of a work around this?
MLS 3.3 will run on Windows 7. It still has some issues, but it's still in beta. It should be out in a couple weeks. The release notes can be found here:
http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5833
aclawson

MLS on Windows 7

Post by aclawson »

I am assuming you have tried running as Administrator and in compatibility mode, correct?

If not you *CAN* run it but you will need to use XP Mode. Free to download (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx) XP Mode installs a virtual XP machine within Windows. It takes a bit of time to set it up (you are installing a copy of XP that runs within Windows 7 after all) but you won't have to format the drive to load XP.

Let me know if you have any questions. I was running XP Mode to tinker with the Meedinghouse Webcast software - it works just fine.

(It is also useful if you want to experiment - if you mess something up just reformat the virtual machine and start over)
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I ran 3.3.0b (beta) w/ the clerk account, which is set up as an administrator, but that's it. I just ran it under the default Windows 7 setup. No compatibility mode or XP emulator. It worked fine yesterday with one exception. If you stay logged in for a long period of time, it starts popping up error windows telling you the system clock has changed and you therefore need to log out.
aclawson

MLS under clerk account

Post by aclawson »

Try running it under the clerk account but specify "run as administrator".
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aclawson wrote:If not you *CAN* run it but you will need to use XP Mode.

We were told that MLS 3.2 will not run under Windows 7 (although some have made it work in compatibility mode or similar).

We have also been told that MLS 3.3 (which has not yet been released but is in beta) will be programmed for and capable of running on Windows 7.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:We were told that MLS 3.2 will not run under Windows 7 (although some have made it work in compatibility mode or similar).
Those who have made it work were only using the test data, where transmission is not an issue. I've never heard of anyone making full MLS work under Windows 7 including Send/Receive.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Clerk Computers”