Z account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
colbyj-p40

Z account

Post by colbyj-p40 »

In a meeting earlier this week I heard discussion of a "Z account" in dealing with scouting. I'm not familiar with this Z account...
can anyone shed further light on how the church's funds reconcile with young men registering for scouting, etc...?
thank you,
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

colbyj wrote:In a meeting earlier this week I heard discussion of a "Z account" in dealing with scouting. I'm not familiar with this Z account...
can anyone shed further light on how the church's funds reconcile with young men registering for scouting, etc...?
thank you,

I don't know the term "Z account". But I do know about Scout registration fees. Such fees are paid by the stake using a special subcategory of "Other" called "Other:Scout Registration". When the stake uses that subcategory, the expense is automatically reimbursed by CHQ. So it's important that wards do not pay these fees to the local Scout council, but that the stake makes the actual payment.

Perhaps in some accountant lingo this could be called a "Z account" but it is clearer to just call it a stake reimbursable account.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
colbyj-p40

Post by colbyj-p40 »

great, thank you very much
atticusewig

Z account as a sorting function

Post by atticusewig »

I've seen some wards name their "other" accounts that
holds scout funds as "Other:Z-Scouts", so it will always
appear at the bottom of the list of "other" accounts,
so calling it a "Z-account" probably is a convention for
"other" accounts that hold a balance from year-to-year
instead of the other "other" accounts that merely
pass-through funds and end up being zero'ed out.

- Atticus
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:I've seen some wards name their "other" accounts that holds scout funds as "Other:Z-Scouts", so it will always appear at the bottom of the list of "other" accounts, so calling it a "Z-account" probably is a convention for "other" accounts that hold a balance from year-to-year instead of the other "other" accounts that merely pass-through funds and end up being zero'ed out.
I've seen that done, too, but that would be a very bad idea for Scout Registration. The stake has to use the special subcategory Other:Scout Registration in order to be reimbursed; if you use a Z-account as you described, then the stake wouldn't get reimbursed and would have a negative balance in an Other subcategory with no good way to fix the problem.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ecotim

Post by ecotim »

In my stake and others in Northen Virginia, the Z account is funds the stake has with our Council's service center. Thus any youth or adult application sent to the service center does not need to have a check written for the fees. This makes it easier for all the units to add youth and adults without having to get a check, since our stake covers all fees for scouting registration.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”