Computer running slow

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

Computer running slow

Post by lrawlins »

I Just got the typical 9:30 pm call from a Bishop informing me that his Ward's computer was running very slowly.

I removed 101 malware infected files from it last Saturday and it started up for me two or three times and ran just fine.

I have made a bootable Anti-Virus CD as suggested in another thread.

Any suggestions what to check first when I get to it tomorrow.

The firewall and DSL modem are in arm's reach of the computer and not in a cabinet. I wonder if someone simply is bypassing the firewall for unrestricted fun on the internet.

Do I want to push for a lock box to avoid temptation?

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:The firewall and DSL modem are in arm's reach of the computer and not in a cabinet. I wonder if someone simply is bypassing the firewall for unrestricted fun on the internet.

Do I want to push for a lock box to avoid temptation?
I would. Especially when there were reasons to suspect that someone may be doing that.

Depending on the modem, you might be able to add some restrictions such that the ward computer is not allowed on the Internet if directly connected (MAC address restriction).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lrawlins

DSL Modem options

Post by lrawlins »

It's just running on a 2Wire DSL modem which doesn't give many options on blocking certain sites. Selectively blocking certain websites isn't one of them.

The more I think about the better the idea of locking it up sounds.

I recently had the firewall at our stake center fail. The first thing I did was to lock the cabinet it lives in and put the key in my pocket.

It was a bit of an irritant to some the following Sunday, but it kept them from bypassing the system. I reminded them that Church policy states the firewall must be used.

It will be interesting to see what's got this machine slowed down.
techgy
Community Moderators

Check Removable Media for Infections

Post by techgy »

It's very possible that a flash-drive, floppy or other removable media that's being used to store files for someone in the Bishopric or a clerk, may also be infected. It's even possible that the original infection came in from the outside through a flash-drive, etc.

I'd repeat the Sophos scan and then check out any removable media that's been used. Last but not least, confirm that Sophos is configured to scan removable media. You are assuming that the original infection came in from the Internet, and although that's possible, it could have come from another source.

One final suggestion would be contact the support desk and have them change the access level of the firewall. The configuration can be set to 3 different levels, the tightest will restrict your access to LDS sites ONLY.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:It's very possible that a flash-drive, floppy or other removable media that's being used to store files for someone in the Bishopric or a clerk, may also be infected.
It would be interesting to know how many different malware types were found. I'm not sure if the "101 files" were of the same or different infections.

Something that's only a few infections could well have come in via removable media. But multiple infections, in my experience, comes from the Internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I would also defrag the hard drive after cleaning out the %temp% directory and deleting the browsing history (temporary internet files, cookies,and history). With the number of files written and removed from an infection the drive will surely be fragmented.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Make sure it wasn't just because Sophos was doing an update or scan; I find my computer is almost useless when that's happening.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Mrb53

Wish it was just that simple

Post by Mrb53 »

All too often, the repair is not as easy as 1,2,3. To have so many hits (malware), makes me wonder which level of internet connectivy is being used. FHC is the lowest security level (firewall) level of connectivity. If the firewall is not being used, then either use it or face the consequences. Sometimes you have to go outside the box to repair a slow machine. Sophos is not a "One stop shop" fixall for whats ailing a pc. I use a combination of tools to clean a pc from infection (CCleaner - great at clearing temp / temporary internet files and cleaning the registry, Malware Bytes to find and remove parasitic infections found outside antivirus, registry edits to speed up pc (can be found on google based on OS), Hijack this to inspect if hijackers, redirects are present in the system, also WinPatrol (good for following cookie/internet history to determime if surfing is proper or if guidance in internet use is required and to track down where programs may be hiding (such as inside svhost or other similar files)). All are free downloads. The pc may also be suffering from O/S creep (basically degredation due to age, adding and removing programs, registry bloat, updates and patches to the O/S and faulty hardware (usually memory so a good mem test program is a worthwhile tool to have on hand). A good tune up can usually resolve the issue but if the parasites keep returning, you have to look further to see if they are automatic or being renewed due to improper internet usage. A good habit is to create a "RESTORE POINT" (in accessories, system tools, resatore - on systems running XP) before any service is done.

Return to “Clerk Computers”