Stake Twitter Accounts

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
ecawley1

Stake Twitter Accounts

Post by ecawley1 »

Is there anything saying one way or another if stakes can form their own twitter accounts?

The plan is to use it to remind people of different stake events (for example, stake temple days, stake priesthood meetings, important church news, etc). All announcements would be approved by a stake presidency member.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

I don't know the answer to the specific question asked but I think it raises a more general issue about how church information (events, news etc) can be distributed most effectively.

Should it be via Twitter? Or via Facebook? Or via email? Or Google Docs/Calendar?

I have seen various stake and local unit aux using some of these and with success as well but it makes the availability of the information very fragmented. I use many of the above for other purposes but when it comes to distributing church information then I think we ought to be more careful.

Instead of thinking about the tools WE use we should find out about what tools the rest of the members use and then work out what could effectively be used. Some might already use one or more and some could start using a new if there is benefit to it (such as church information) and some will/cannot use any. The last one is ok as a printed copy can always be provided together with oral announcements.

Or is there a more simple way such as educating both leaders and members to start using the tools the church has now provided for us with the new calendar tools on new.lds.org etc.?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

idtaz wrote:Is there anything saying one way or another if stakes can form their own twitter accounts?

The plan is to use it to remind people of different stake events (for example, stake temple days, stake priesthood meetings, important church news, etc). All announcements would be approved by a stake presidency member.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
This question arises quite frequently - regarding a church unit having their own web site. I would refer you to an official letteron this subject that was published in 2004, but which has never been rescinded.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

dkjorgi wrote:I don't know the answer to the specific question asked
And the reason I said this is because I would not like to interpret the letter techgy has referred to in relation to situations like this.

Whether the letter only mean websites or also indiv web pages, web services, calendar-tools etc open or closed would not be right to elaborate on within this forum other than to encourage you to speak to their own leaders with this letter in mind and then they can seek further counsel from those above them if needed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

idtaz wrote:Is there anything saying one way or another if stakes can form their own twitter accounts?
Only the 2001 letter and the 2004 letter that Techgy mentioned. Of course they don't talk about twitter because it didn't exist back then.

A few thoughts:

The two letters seems to ban a church organization from all of the public-facing Internet technology of the time. It also raised a number of concerns.

Those concerns would need to be matched against the intended use. I'd also look at how the Local Unit Websites were set up to answer the concerns. One in particular is the guidance on what events should NOT be placed on main page where it's visible to the public.

Normally we'd refer people back to the local Priesthood Leaders, but since I suspect you are probably inquiring in behalf of the Stake Presidency, I'd suggest they check with their area leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Your thoughts?
My thoughts:
While I can't say "if stakes can form their own twittter accounts," it is abundantly clear that the church is asking us as individual members to carefully use modern technology as a tool as we are individually furthering the missions of the church.
jessestay

Post by jessestay »

I suggest you defer to your Priesthood leaders on this - other than what has been said, I can't say one way or the other, but I can say that the Church has numerous Twitter accounts, multiple Facebook Pages a Youtube Channel, and my official title at the Church is "Social Media Architect". That shouldn't be construed as any official word from the Church however, and your Priesthood leaders should be able to get and provide any additional insight on this through their line of authority. I suggest you defer to them, and they should be able to provide further counsel on this. This is something that has to come through Priesthood authority.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”