New mobile app

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
angell

New mobile app

Post by angell »

I have an idea for a new mobile app, "Priesthood Helper". Where would be the best place to post the details? Here?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Looking over the list, here seems as good a place as any to start with. If we find a better home for it, we can leave a re-direct behind so it can be found.

Thanks for asking.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
angell

Post by angell »

"Priesthood Helper" app for mobile devices. Three sections, others can be added as additional ideas are presented. This app is not intended for leaders, but to be a quick reference to help priesthood holders fulfill the responsibilities of their office.

Ordinances – How to perform priesthood ordinances, the same information that used to be in the back of the priesthood manuals.

Line of Authority – User can enter their line of authority and have the app save the information to display on demand.

Recommend Reminder – Users enter the day their recommend was issued. When the app starts it checks for when the recommend will expire. If the expiration is within the next 3 months a reminder will be displayed. Option to “snooze” the reminder for a given time period (e.g. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months).
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Add option to enter home teaching families and contact info for them. Also include ways to change this if the user's leaders reassign the user to different families.
angell

Post by angell »

I had considered adding HT/VT to the list of features, but I was thinking along the lines of that being a leadership tool, which would put it into the LDS Tools app and not this. I am in a quorum presidency so I was thinking about having all the HT routes available for lookup.

Very good idea to be able to have only your own route available for quick lookup. However, this can be done in the LDS Tools app, though I never before thought of using it this way. Create a custom list and add your families to it. Doing this would not provide the automatic update of route changes that you propose, but I think I'll be doing it anyway for now.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

AngelDeLaNoche wrote:"Priesthood Helper" app for mobile devices. Three sections, . . .

While the app is being developed, here are three suggestions, one for each proposed section:

1. Ordinances

Download the Gospel Library app prepared by the Church.
Information on how to perform an ordinance is in two places.

A. Curriculum, Melchizedek Priesthood,
Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood, Part B,
Lesson 5, Performing Priesthood Ordinances.

B. Other, Home and Family,
Family Guidebook,
Priesthood Ordinances and Blessings.

2. Line of Authority

Store this information in your choice of two places.

A. In the Notes section of the device.

B. As a file (word processed or pdf) in the files section of the device, in the same manner as other files are stored, depending on what app you use (Dropbox, Stanza, iBooks, other).

3. Recommend Reminder.

Use the Calendar and enter a reminder about a month before the recommend will expire (or however long you wish). Most calendar apps include an alarm or reminder function if this is desired.
angell

Post by angell »

I would still like to see this as an actual app, but since I couldn't find anyone that was willing to take on that task and since I don't have the resources, I did it as a web site. Check out http://www.angells.com/ph. Optimized for viewing on an iPhone / iPod Touch / iPad. Does not look good in a browser on a computer. I haven't tested it on any smart phones.

I like the workarounds suggested, and have created a HT list in LDS Tools as well as a PDF file of my line of authority. However, I prefer having all of these together and I find this much easier to use that having to search multiple locations.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”