Conference Audio/Video Archives

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
twheeler

Conference Audio/Video Archives

Post by twheeler »

Not sure what forum this belongs in....

Is there a way to get audio and/or video from the older General Conferences? I'm looking for stuff that would be pre-1998. Is there an online archive? Do I have to order them from the Church History Department?
strago

Post by strago »

Does any one know the answer to this? So far eBay and Amazon are all I've found for finding audio and/or video from the older General Conferences, and even those sites don't have very many listings for old sessions. It would be *really* nice if they were just uploaded to the web site. Right now if you go any earlier than April 2006, it's just the text.
cool12

Post by cool12 »

I second this post. I love to listen to conference on my commute and I have all of the conferences downloaded from lds.org/audio but this only goes back to April 2006. In some of those files it is best to download the entire sessions all at once to avoid individual talks/files which are cut short (there are a few cases especially in 2007 April Conference).

Of course, I am not complaining...technology has made studying the conferences so convenient! Another note is that the Mormon Channel App on my Android phone does provide audio back to April 2003 Conference, but I would love to go back and listen to all that could be made available. Is there a site or resource for this? I even checked the distribution site and I don't see a way to purchase the older conferences on CD either.

Thanks for listening!
ianl

Post by ianl »

I also think it would be great to have access to audios of past conferences.

And let me add a semi-related request/suggestion...

The most recent conference archives provide the ability to download music from the conference. This is a terrific resource. I love having this music. We are able to have this play in the stake waiting area and it really brings a wonderful spirit.

However, the music is only available for the past couple of years. It would be great if this could be provided for more of the past conferences.

And, here's a request for anyone who might have a responsibility for putting the music archives on the internet...it's a real shame that some of the songs have the announcements over the top of them. Picture sitting in the stake waiting area, listing to beautiful music and you hear ..."From the Conference Centre at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, this is the ..." Surely we can have the song uploaded without the announcement...can't we?

Thanks,

Ian
cool12

Post by cool12 »

Ian,

I enjoy the music as well. One solution that could be used for this, but would require some work on your part, would be to download the entire session of conference and use some audio editing software to clip out the music. I also found that the current lds.org/audio site does not provide some of the older conferences that lds.org/broadcast does (check the archive link). This helped me a lot but it is not complete either. I do not have the music in track format but I have used the "download entire session" links so when I listen to conference I have the music as well.

Technology is amazing and I am appreciative of it...sometimes I find myself having to reign-in my desire to have everything I want just because a portion of what I want is there. But hey, we are supposed to seek after things that are virtuous, lovely and of good report, right?

Justin

Return to “General Discussions”