Callings Visualization Tool for Bishoprics?

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
cblakes

Callings Visualization Tool for Bishoprics?

Post by cblakes »

Does anyone know if a tool exists that takes callings info. from MLS and can visualize it for bishoprics to use when making callings decisions? It would be so helpful to view the big picture of a wards' callings visually.

Something like a concept map/flowchart with circles and arrows.

Further, it would be useful to view each member's duration of the current calling and listings of previous callings. I realize MLS doesn't track past callings, but if it did it would be helpful.

Does anything exist along these lines, or is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks,

Chris
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

The best I've done is a script that uses the Organization export file to construct one page summary of ward callings. My script also creates two additional reports for length of service and a list of members with multiple callings.

It's no where near the level of detail and performance you're asking for, but it quick and easy to produce.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

cblakes wrote:Does anyone know if a tool exists that takes callings info. from MLS and can visualize it for bishoprics to use when making callings decisions? It would be so helpful to view the big picture of a wards' callings visually.

Something like a concept map/flowchart with circles and arrows.

Further, it would be useful to view each member's duration of the current calling and listings of previous callings. I realize MLS doesn't track past callings, but if it did it would be helpful.

Does anything exist along these lines, or is there any way to make this happen?

Thanks,

Chris
I'm sure it doesn't exist or we all would be using it. I, too, long for a visual chart, that takes the callings data from MLS and groups each organization and those called to positions in that organization. Perhaps there is a list to the side of all the ward members...I envision it allowing us to drag our members names around the chart and "test fit" them in different callings, seeing the "holes" that are created as we take an individual from a calling and move them to a new one as we do it.

Has anyone looked at http://www.cogmap.com/ as an example of an application similar to what we hope for using java? I used it to build a chart of our Elders quorum structure, with all our organizational flow and committee structure once...it allows csv import...but doesn't do really what we need.

We are describing a "throwback" to my childhood bishop's office, where all of one wall was a metal board with all the ward members written on paper, and glued to magnets. At the top of the board were all the organization names, and next to the name of the ward member was the calling they are serving in, also on a magnet. I can imagine hours spent moving and re-arranging when a change was needed, until the perfect combination of pondering and starring at the board and praying produced an answer.

And welcome to the forum!
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

nutterb wrote:The best I've done is a script that uses the Organization export file to construct one page summary of ward callings. My script also creates two additional reports for length of service and a list of members with multiple callings.

It's no where near the level of detail and performance you're asking for, but it quick and easy to produce.
Can you share your "script?" although I'm not even sure I would know how to use it...
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

I use to have one in my office. Then we were moved to a new building and I left the magnetic whiteboard behind. We now have the same thing on an excel spreadsheet, or rather now in a Google doc format. It works pretty good but a full-fledged tool would be nicer!
Troy
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

nah - I have to say that I don't think that's the way to go. For me, callings are about finding out what calling the lord wants someone to hold, and that's it.

I think that when we start approaching this in a 'business management' kind of way - we lose the required spiritual focus on the needs of an individual.

Worrying about who to release, and call, where someone else could fit, and the whole big picture also takes away the focus on allowing quorum and auxiliary presidents the freedom to make recommendations as they feel so impressed.
msierra

Ward Sacrament Tool

Post by msierra »

I have created an access database for this which assists the Bishopric to prepare their Sunday Service Programme and have created several functions and reports based from this.

* Database uses MLS imported data to update members list
* Shows history of Members participation in sacrament (prayer, speaker) and current/previous callings. It also shows the sustaining and release date. Can be printed per family or entire history.
* Shows Organisation List with current members serving. Also shows history of members who served in that calling.
* Shows summary and listing for topics, hymns and speakers in sacrament.
* Shows a bar graph of the attendance of the sacrament meeting and quarterly graph. Help to see the trend of when members are generally away...
* Produce invitation letters for speaking assigments.
* Shows who have not spoken for the last 6 months or group it to show youth and adults who are available to speak.
* Produce and track Child Protection Form... this is before the online became available. Can still be used for producing the forms for each adults.
* Can also sync data from Bishoprics PC to the chapel's master version.

Right now there are 3 wards in the Stake who are using the application and only MS Access runtime version is required to run it.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

kisaac wrote:Can you share your "script?" although I'm not even sure I would know how to use it...
I don't mind sharing it at all. Give me a few days to improve the documentation so that you can take all the steps to get it running.

One catch to this, however--you'll have to install R on your machine. I'll write up the instructions on how to install and configure it. It's a little bit of work up front, but once it's set up, running the reports is a matter of double clicking a file.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

rookie_aus wrote:I have created an access database for this which assists the Bishopric to prepare their Sunday Service Programme and have created several functions and reports based from this.

* Database uses MLS imported data to update members list
* Shows history of Members participation in sacrament (prayer, speaker) and current/previous callings. It also shows the sustaining and release date. Can be printed per family or entire history.
* Shows Organisation List with current members serving. Also shows history of members who served in that calling.
* Shows summary and listing for topics, hymns and speakers in sacrament.
* Shows a bar graph of the attendance of the sacrament meeting and quarterly graph. Help to see the trend of when members are generally away...
* Produce invitation letters for speaking assigments.
* Shows who have not spoken for the last 6 months or group it to show youth and adults who are available to speak.
* Produce and track Child Protection Form... this is before the online became available. Can still be used for producing the forms for each adults.
* Can also sync data from Bishoprics PC to the chapel's master version.

Right now there are 3 wards in the Stake who are using the application and only MS Access runtime version is required to run it.
Could you share this? I've built something similar, but with much less functionality. I'd like to compare and see if it's worth switching, or modifying my own.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Our current "callings worksheet" spreadsheet....

Post by kisaac »

dannykos wrote:nah - I have to say that I don't think that's the way to go. For me, callings are about finding out what calling the lord wants someone to hold, and that's it.

I think that when we start approaching this in a 'business management' kind of way - we lose the required spiritual focus on the needs of an individual.

Worrying about who to release, and call, where someone else could fit, and the whole big picture also takes away the focus on allowing quorum and auxiliary presidents the freedom to make recommendations as they feel so impressed.
Indeed, we all certainly have our own "method." I certainly don't think approaching a calling change by studying and charting out the various options (business management?) takes anything away from spiritual guidance, but actually is part of the process for me.
D&C 9:7-8
Behold, you have not understood; you have supposed that I would give it unto you, when you took no thought save it was to ask me.
But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.
To help our bishopric "study it out in their mind," I make notes about our callings discussions, then update the callings worksheet I maintain, which is a spreadsheet, attached (in case you want to see it.) I would love to have a more detailed "visualization" chart for it, but its all we have now to work from.

I email it to the bishopric before bishopric meeting, and we keep a copy on google docs. I update it after bishopric meeting, and this is a reminder for them to contact those they need to call or release for Sunday's actions during the week. It becomes the Sunday "task list" of actions to preform in Sacrament meeting, based on who they contacted to extend the callings and releses, which are transferred to the sacrament meeting agenda by our exec. sec for official action in sacrament meeting. The sacrament meeting agenda is then given to the ward clerk for recording of the actions (sustainings and releases) in MLS.
Attachments
callings worksheet.xls
(15.5 KiB) Downloaded 2281 times

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”