Family Divided Between Two Wards

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
techgy
Community Moderators

Family Divided Between Two Wards

Post by techgy »

I have a member of a family who qualifies for membership in a Deaf Branch.
His parents are members of another ward in the stake, but the branch clerk is trying to request the records for this individual.

Question: Is this single member to be considered as "Head of House" when he's moved into the branch? His parents and the rest of his family will remain in another ward in the same stake.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

techgy wrote:I have a member of a family who qualifies for membership in a Deaf Branch.
His parents are members of another ward in the stake, but the branch clerk is trying to request the records for this individual.

Question: Is this single member to be considered as "Head of House" when he's moved into the branch? His parents and the rest of his family will remain in another ward in the same stake.
If a member of a branch (or ward) is the only member of the family in that branch, then he must be made Head of Household. This happens all the time with singles wards and branches; a Deaf Branch would be the same situation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:If a member of a branch (or ward) is the only member of the family in that branch, then he must be made Head of Household. This happens all the time with singles wards and branches; a Deaf Branch would be the same situation.
Thanks. I kinda figured that was the situation.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

techgy wrote:Thanks. I kinda figured that was the situation.
As a membership clerk, I'm asking this for my own education. If there was a perceived need to the leadership to list parents as contacts for head of household, is it even possible to add them as nonmember or out of unit and show them as HoH?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kgthunder wrote:As a membership clerk, I'm asking this for my own education. If there was a perceived need to the leadership to list parents as contacts for head of household, is it even possible to add them as nonmember or out of unit and show them as HoH?
It seems to me that a nonmember record is certainly the wrong thing to do, and even an out of unit membership record seems like it creates more problems than it solves. An out of unit membership record is designed to be used when a member of another ward is serving in a ward, and the name will show up on all ward lists. If all that is desired is contact information, it seems like the information can be stored separately, rather than giving the misleading impression that the parents are participating in the Deaf Branch or Singles Ward or whatever other other unit the young person is attending.

If the leadership really wants the contact information in MLS, they could use a Custom field.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”