Updating geo codes after a Stake realignment

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
CMiller-p40

Updating geo codes after a Stake realignment

Post by CMiller-p40 »

My current project is to support the Stake Presidency in realigning the Ward boundaries within our Stake. Once we have all the approvals needed, is it possible to import the changes into MLS or is it possible to change all the Current Geo Codes in one block at one time (instead of changing each HOH individually. For example; old = RE22, new = BR 18. I did ask a similar question in 2008 and am hoping there have been some enhancements since then to allow for this change. We have about 1000 HOH to change, once approved by Church HQ. Thanks
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

CMiller wrote:My current project is to support the Stake Presidency in realigning the Ward boundaries within our Stake. Once we have all the approvals needed, is it possible to import the changes into MLS or is it possible to change all the Current Geo Codes in one block at one time (instead of changing each HOH individually. For example; old = RE22, new = BR 18. I did ask a similar question in 2008 and am hoping there have been some enhancements since then to allow for this change. We have about 1000 HOH to change, once approved by Church HQ. Thanks
I don't think you can use the geo codes, but there is a way to bulk select all the members moving from one ward to another -see the wiki page Boundary_realignment_(MLS).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

CMiller wrote:My current project is to support the Stake Presidency in realigning the Ward boundaries within our Stake. Once we have all the approvals needed, is it possible to import the changes into MLS or is it possible to change all the Current Geo Codes in one block at one time (instead of changing each HOH individually. For example; old = RE22, new = BR 18. I did ask a similar question in 2008 and am hoping there have been some enhancements since then to allow for this change. We have about 1000 HOH to change, once approved by Church HQ. Thanks

I have never found a way to change the geocode in MLS other than by an individual entry to the HoH. You can list them all, and sort them by stake geocode, and then change them individual from that list, but it is still one at a time. [sigh]

As Ryan said, though, you can move records in bulk by using the boundary realignment menu item in MLS. For each new ward where a group of records is being sent, enter the ward and select all the records (by HoH) to be sent to that ward.
CMiller-p40

Post by CMiller-p40 »

Thanks again for the feedback. I am aware of the boundary realignment capabilities, I was hoping I would not have to change each GEO one by one....
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

CMiller wrote:I was hoping I would not have to change each GEO one by one....

Something I have had on my wish list for a long time is the ability to change the name of a Geocode and have it change on all of the records. Sadly, my wish has never been granted.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Something I have had on my wish list for a long time is the ability to change the name of a Geocode and have it change on all of the records. Sadly, my wish has never been granted.
That would indeed be nice. But as I explained in this post, even fixing them individually doesn't have to take all that long.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:That would indeed be nice. But as I explained in this post, even fixing them individually doesn't have to take all that long.
True, so CMiller could take care of his stake in under an hour and a half, and it would only take me about 5 hours to do our stake. [grin]

Fortunately, I will not have to do it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:True, so CMiller could take care of his stake in under an hour and a half, and it would only take me about 5 hours to do our stake. [grin]

Fortunately, I will not have to do it.
You have 4000 households in your stake? That's one big stake! (I calculated 200 households in 15 minutes in the linked post.)

But I was addressing your hope to "change the name of a Geocode and have it change" -- that didn't sound like the entire stake.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:You have 4000 households in your stake? That's one big stake! (I calculated 200 households in 15 minutes in the linked post.)

But I was addressing your hope to "change the name of a Geocode and have it change" -- that didn't sound like the entire stake.
Yes. I also said that, fortunately, I will not have to do it. So far, we have planned out our Geocodes using a simple method that has not required any change.

I also have the option of assigning someone else to do it, if it ever becomes necessary. But, I would certainly want to do my part to help.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”