Church boundaries

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Roxanna-p40

Church boundaries

Post by Roxanna-p40 »

I am very upset about the church bounderies. I have been fighting them the whole time I have lived in Tehama County. I went to Red Bluff High School but had to go to Corning Ward because we lived in the Red Blluff High Bounderies but not the Red Bluff Ward Bounderies which meant seminary in Red Bluff and church in Corning. I still live in Tehama county and the Red Bluff high school district but because the utilies gave us a Cottonwood, Shasta County phone we were sent to Anderson Ward, while my grandson who lives next door goes to Boy Scouts in the Red Bluff Ward. When Will they realize that in the country you need to use the school districts and county lines not utilies info for where you are. WE were sent to Anderson Ward and don't live in the Shasta County and Red Bluff is closer. Please help us. We don't know who to talk to about it. I am very upset that I have had to fight this for 40 years.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Roxanna wrote:I am very upset about the church bounderies. I have been fighting them the whole time I have lived in Tehama County. I went to Red Bluff High School but had to go to Corning Ward because we lived in the Red Blluff High Bounderies but not the Red Bluff Ward Bounderies which meant seminary in Red Bluff and church in Corning. I still live in Tehama county and the Red Bluff high school district but because the utilies gave us a Cottonwood, Shasta County phone we were sent to Anderson Ward, while my grandson who lives next door goes to Boy Scouts in the Red Bluff Ward. When Will they realize that in the country you need to use the school districts and county lines not utilies info for where you are. WE were sent to Anderson Ward and don't live in the Shasta County and Red Bluff is closer. Please help us. We don't know who to talk to about it. I am very upset that I have had to fight this for 40 years.
I'm sorry to hear about your frustration with the ward boundaries. However, this is a technical forum, and we really don't have anything to do with the way boundaries are determined. Ward boundaries within your stake are recommended by your stake president and then approved by Church headquarters. Stake boundaries are usually recommended by the stake presidents involved, and also approved by Church headquarters.

So we can't really do much to help you, except to point you to your bishop or stake president. They are the ones who can listen to your concerns and decide if changes are warranted. I have been involved in some boundary realignments, and I can say that they are usually very complicated. There are issues involved that may not be obvious to all the members, and I know that the priesthood leaders I have worked with seek inspiration as they work through the process. I would urge you to keep that in mind as you voice your concerns.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Roxanna wrote:I still live in Tehama county and the Red Bluff high school district but because the utilies gave us a Cottonwood, Shasta County phone we were sent to Anderson Ward, while my grandson who lives next door goes to Boy Scouts in the Red Bluff Ward.
I wouldn't think what phone you were given makes any difference. The boundaries I've seen are based on one's physical location with respect to some defined boundaries. I don't understand what the utility company has to do with it, but then I've never lived in your area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Roxanna wrote:..... I still live in Tehama county and the Red Bluff high school district but because the utilies gave us a Cottonwood, Shasta County phone we were sent to Anderson Ward, while my grandson who lives next door goes to Boy Scouts in the Red Bluff Ward..
Our stake went through some ward boundary changes this past November. The effort was months in the making. I can assure you that there are a LOT of items that are considered - Priesthood strength - Number of Youth, natural boundaries such as rivers, major highways, to name just a few. Changes are usually made to help balance the strength in wards and stakes.

It's a major undertaking to make a change in ward/stake boundaries and one that must be approved by Church HQ, after due consideration (inspiration).

It's obvious that feelings are often tender when these changes are announced. Families that are moved to a different ward lose contact with close friends whom they have grown used to seeing every week. It's not something's that easily adapted to. But, with prayer and fasting individuals can have a testimony of the changes and come to understand why they were made and ultimately support the changes.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Roxanna wrote:because the utilies gave us a Cottonwood, Shasta County phone we were sent to Anderson Ward
Others have given excellent advice. One thing that is not considered is your phone number, so perhaps there has been a misunderstanding.

We have phone numbers from all over the country in our ward. Folks move here and keep their old cell phone numbers. Many never get a local number.

So it is not feasible to use a person's phone number to determine which ward they should attend. Ward boundaries are based on your physical location.

Do chat with your bishop and make sure you are in the correct ward.
albrideau

Stake Boundary Quandry

Post by albrideau »

I have heard of many who are on the fringes of Stake Boundaries taking exception to the inconvenience of having to attend a certain ward because of distance, friends, familiarity and other reasons. It is particularly so in Canada where Stakes are geographically challenged by wards in the stake that can be as far as a 6 hour drive apart. I myself moved to a location that was the same distance between my former ward and the new ward that I was required to attend because of my move. My wife felt strongly that we should attend the ward that we had previously been attending for various reasons. I myself had no problems attending a new ward after our move. As this was troubling my wife I suggested she take her concerns to the stake president and if she felt strongly to ask if he would make an exception for us. She did so and no exception was granted. I told her that because the church is the Lords church and I know that our Stake President is inspired of God. It was ultimately the Lord's call and not the stake presidents. The Lord establishes the boundaries and inspires when there is need for change. I counseled with my wife and suggested that she "Inquire of the Lord" as to whether the Stake Presidents decision was His will. She received confirmation that it indeed was and our experience in our new ward has been deeply rewarding. We have been challenged, enlightened and have grown in ways we never could have in our old ward. When changes come in our lives, this can be the time of our greatest spiritual growth, the test of if we will handle the change in a manner pleasing to the Lord. If we handle these tests well, the Lord will bless us for our faith and diligence to His commandments, precepts and principles. Of this I testify, in the name of Jesus Christ.

Return to “General Discussions”