Domain vs Subdomain

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
allenjblodgett

Domain vs Subdomain

Post by allenjblodgett »

Is the church trying to save money or something by have subdomains instead of more domain names?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

allen.blodgett wrote:Is the church trying to save money or something by have subdomains instead of more domain names?
Although there IS a small cost to renew domain names each year or two, I would hazard a guess that the reason many of the new features are all under the lds.org domain is more for the purpose of consolidation. I really don't see the need to create an entirely new domain in many instances.

Also, creating a sub-domain gives the Church more freedom in the choice of a name. It might be possible that a domain name may already be taken by someone else.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That is exactly why the subdomains, for consolidation.

However, it doesn't work so well for search engines to pick things up in the best ways. You have to have the page also in the format 'lds.org/page' along with 'page.lds.org' for it to be better picked up and indexed by the search engines. You can even redirect 'page.lds.org' to lds.org/page' as well.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This is sometimes a function of the forward and reverse proxies, load balancer'ss, content redirector's political junk from network teams, etc... I know that our Network team is continually beating the drum about using subdomains, rather than unique domains... age old battle... marketing wants a unique name for everything, Network doesn't. The overhead with managing unique vs subdomain is greater, but the branding seems to be better the other way.

Return to “General Discussions”