Firefox 3 support in Missionary Online Recommendation System

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
danpass

Firefox 3 support in Missionary Online Recommendation System

Post by danpass »

Firefox 3 was recently released, but the Missionary Online Recommendation System does not yet recognize it as a supported browser. When I browse to the Missionary Online Recommendation System using Firefox 3, I get a pop-up window indicating that my browser is not supported and it lists which browsers (and versions) are supported. The list includes Firefox 1.06+.
Note: I can close the pop-up and continue with no problem. So this error does not prevent use of the system with Firefox 3. But it might cause some confusion for some users.
jander04

Post by jander04 »

I question why the warning window that lets us know we are using a potentially incompatible browser comes up at all. I use Chrome and Internet Explorer 8, and the warning comes up on both. I think it is just an annoyance. I wish the developers would just remove it.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

When MORS was first available I thought the warning meant something important, so I tried to use MSIE when accessing MORS. I don't recall any significant difference in my browsing "experience" regardless of browser or version. Early in the life of MORS I suggested the warning was inaccurate and needed to go.

It's still there. I don't know how much effort it would take to correct the annoyance. I can hope that there are plans to replace MORS soon, but haven't heard any rumors. I wish I knew enough to rewrite the code segment involved.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jpjonesxyz wrote:When MORS was first available I thought the warning meant something important, so I tried to use MSIE when accessing MORS. I don't recall any significant difference in my browsing "experience" regardless of browser or version. Early in the life of MORS I suggested the warning was inaccurate and needed to go.

It is a pain. When I called the help desk, the answer was that they did not have time to test all of the new browsers, so it was just a warning that things might not work. At first, I could not get past the warning, but now I can, and I have never had a problem with the latest version of FireFox.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”