Stubborn wireless connection

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lrawlins

Stubborn wireless connection

Post by lrawlins »

Is it just me, or do devices with wireless built in connect a whole lot better than when using a wireless adaptor?

We have moved our FHC and while waiting for the DSL line next week I attempted to connect a machine via w Linksys wireless adaptor. The best it does it politely tell me it has connected to the nearest access point, but can not connect to the internet.

The building we moved into has an existing DSL line with wireless, but due to it's construction wireless signals do not do very well.

Laptop computers, iPhone & iPad all connect to existing wireless without a glitch, but I have tried every combination of WEP, WPA & what ever with no luck on the computer with wireless adaptor.

Yes this will be a second DSL to this building, again due to the buildings construction there is little or no attic space in some areas needed to run wires without having them exposed. FM wasn't too pleased with some exposed wire ran previously.

Any suggestions other than wait for wired connection?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The computer might have the old Odyssey client installed and it might be creating problems.
lrawlins wrote:Yes this will be a second DSL to this building,
That's an unusual situation. The policy has been one firewall per building. Are you able to get a second firewall for the second DSL (firewall required) for the same building?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

Yes, I have the second firewall.

Once we get one up and running I'll have our friends at FM
group help with a single firewall solution.

I just re imaged the drive on the machine I was at last night and don't know if there is an Odyssey client. Will look for it.

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:I just re imaged the drive on the machine I was at last night and don't know if there is an Odyssey client. Will look for it.
If other basic machines are able to connect, you DON"T want the Odyssey.

I thought maybe the old machine had it and Odyssey was looking for its counterpart and that's why things didn't work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crees

Post by crees »

Have you tried Ethernet over Coax, Power-line or phone line to Extend your network (or wireless network)? I am not too familiar with the do's and don'ts of extending data in Church Houses, but Ethernet extenders have been effective and it has saved me numerous times especially where running new wires was not an option. But I must note that these technologies will not always work for every situation. I just did an install last week and it ended up being much cheaper and super quick then having my crew come out for a day to do a surface wall cat5 install.

Br. Rees

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”