Can ward missionary funds be used for wardrobe?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Jonathan-p40

Can ward missionary funds be used for wardrobe?

Post by Jonathan-p40 »

Can a Bishop authorize the use of Ward Missionary funds for the purpose of buying an appropriate wardrobe for an outbound Elder? My gut tells me this is not allowed and that Fast Offerings should be used in stead. But I have not been able to find any clearcut official policy statements to back it up eitherway.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Jonathan wrote:Can a Bishop authorize the use of Ward Missionary funds for the purpose of buying an appropriate wardrobe for an outbound Elder? My gut tells me this is not allowed and that Fast Offerings should be used in stead. But I have not been able to find any clearcut official policy statements to back it up eitherway.
The bishop (or someone else with access to Book 1 of the CHI) can look on page 96 under "Personal Funds" to find that only the equalized contribution is paid out of the ward missionary fund for young missionaries; all other expenses are paid out of personal funds. So if there is a financial need for clothing beyond the missionary's ability to pay, I would think that Fast Offerings could be an option for the bishop to consider.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Your gut (and Alan_Brown) are correct. The answer is no. If assistance is needed, use fast offering funds.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”