Electronic Donations to Local Units

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
faireskind

Electronic Donations to Local Units

Post by faireskind »

I saw an article in Time magazine (http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 22,00.html) regarding the entry of ATM-type kiosks into houses of worship across the country that allow parishoners to donate electronically to their local church. Now, I'm not advocating that our church do this, but was wondering what plans our church has to handle donations electronically because, as the article says in the last paragraph, "I often hear people say that the only check they still write each month is to the church. It seems that everything else has gone electronic."

I know that we have the means to allow electronic donations, but it seems that this technology is mainly focused on those members who don't have convenient access to a local unit where they may make donations in person. Is there anything on the horizon that will allow members to have the Church debit their accounts directly and avoid the rising check-processing fees, etc. yet connect with the local units to allow for contributions to Ward Missionary and Other categories?
brado426

Post by brado426 »

With Bank of America, I just schedule my Tithing payment. A check is automatically sent every month without me having to even think about it. I just pay fast offerings (and any other category) at the end of the year in one lump sum.

Brad O.
BenJoeM-p40

Post by BenJoeM-p40 »

faireskind wrote:I saw an article in Time magazine (http://www.time.com/time/business/artic ... 22,00.html) regarding the entry of ATM-type kiosks into houses of worship across the country that allow parishoners to donate electronically to their local church. Now, I'm not advocating that our church do this, but was wondering what plans our church has to handle donations electronically because, as the article says in the last paragraph, "I often hear people say that the only check they still write each month is to the church. It seems that everything else has gone electronic."

I know that we have the means to allow electronic donations, but it seems that this technology is mainly focused on those members who don't have convenient access to a local unit where they may make donations in person. Is there anything on the horizon that will allow members to have the Church debit their accounts directly and avoid the rising check-processing fees, etc. yet connect with the local units to allow for contributions to Ward Missionary and Other categories?

I have often wondered about this and I know a big part of my paying my tithing is writing that check. Would [some] people miss the spirit of the tithing if they just auto-paid it. But it would be nice to have a credit card machine at the clerks door or the bishops office that you could swipe your debit card, put in your pin, and pay your tithing. We will see.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

You can read [thread=69]this thread[/thread] for more conversations about paying tithing online. I remind everyone that we should be careful about discussing tithes and offerings.

Tom
chrissv

Post by chrissv »

BenJoeM wrote:I have often wondered about this and I know a big part of my paying my tithing is writing that check.
I also think the personal act of giving the offering envelop to the Bishop (or other Bishopric member) may affect some members - they want that personal contact, and who knows - maybe if they could pay electronically they may be tempted to not go to church sometimes.

As for me, paying electronically doesn't bother me - I think the convenience is wonderful. I don't have to worry about forgetting (which I did sometimes).
pantherjad-p40

Post by pantherjad-p40 »

Brad O. wrote:With Bank of America, I just schedule my Tithing payment. A check is automatically sent every month without me having to even think about it. I just pay fast offerings (and any other category) at the end of the year in one lump sum.

Brad O.
The only potential problem I see with this is what if the Bishop throttles his assistance to needy families based on the current fast offering budget (I know our Bishop does so) such that the lump sum at the end of the year isn't taken into account throughout the year when the Bishop actually gives out assistance (I think all fast offerings are sent back to the Stake or Church HQ at the end of the year). Additionally, who fills out the tithing slip when the auto check is sent to the Bishop from the bank? I assume some poor clerk!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Zombe thread alert! :D This thread you resurrected was very old!
pantherjad wrote:The only potential problem I see with this is what if the Bishop throttles his assistance to needy families based on the current fast offering budget (I know our Bishop does so) ...
"Fast Offering Budget"? No such animal that I've heard of. There might be thresholds that might trigger some scrutiny from above, but I've never heard of Fast Offering being being subject to a "budget". If there is legitimate need, there is a need.
pantherjad wrote:I think all fast offerings are sent back to the
Stake or Church HQ at the end of the year
All FO funds are immediately swept to CHQ upon deposit. Likewise, all checks are written against CHQ funds.
pantherjad wrote:Additionally, who fills out the tithing slip when the auto check is sent to the Bishop from the bank? I assume some poor clerk!
I believe you assume correctly. :)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:"Fast Offering Budget"? No such animal that I've heard of. There might be thresholds that might trigger some scrutiny from above, but I've never heard of Fast Offering being being subject to a "budget". If there is legitimate need, there is a need.
Indeed, Bishop Burton counseled that there is no such thing. In The Welfare Responsibilities of the Bishop, he said:
There is no requirement, however, that fast-offering expenditures within the ward and stake remain in balance with fast-offering contributions.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

Please don't make Bishopric members fill out your donation slips for you! If you want to automatically have a check cut, great, but don't have it mailed to the Bishop. Mail it to yourself and fill the slip out. Otherwise he might just hand it to you and have you do it. That's what I do. The member needs to fill the donation slip out not the bishopric.
Troy

Return to “Other Member Technologies”