New LDS.org design is awesome Q&A

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

kennova wrote:Disclaimer: I'm on the Search Team at National Instruments here in Austin, Texas..

Why does the Search box require a click to get to? One the biggest feedback items for our website ni.com is that the search box is the most heavily used asset. We are constantly getting feedback to make it bigger, more accessible, etc. Why the decision in the new.lds.org site?

I'm also interested in the search engine that lds.org uses..
Speaking just as a user of lds.org and as a frequent complainer about many things elsewhere...

One problem with focusing the keyboard in a search box, at least with some methods of doing that, is it can make it more difficult for users to do other things on the page. For example, starting some weeks ago, at a certain professional social networking site, keyboard focus is now forced to the search box on at least some pages. The problem is Ctrl-W no longer works to close that (Firefox) browser window, which is different from nearly all other sites I frequent. At that site, I have to press TAB to get the keyboard focus out of the search box before Ctrl-W will work.

I don't know what factors might have been involved in the present design at lds.org, but sometimes there are counterbalancing factors that need to be weighed.
cognifloyd

Is anyone in the know listening?

Post by cognifloyd »

It seems to me that the people that know anything about the design, either don't use this forum or they use it once in a blue moon. I'm not sure we're going to get responses from the Church employees that are working on this project.

Please, prove me wrong, or please tell me, why the silence?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

techgurufloyd wrote:It seems to me that the people that know anything about the design, either don't use this forum or they use it once in a blue moon. I'm not sure we're going to get responses from the Church employees that are working on this project.

Please, prove me wrong, or please tell me, why the silence?
You are correct when you state that many of the designers of projects do not frequent the forum on a regular basis. The community encourages participation from those at CHQ, but whether they feel they have the time to spend on the forum is entirely up to them.

We have been blessed to have some representation from those involved in the CDOL as well as the new Directory and Calendar projects and they have been very helpful in responding to questions.

However, if you have problems to report the best method would be to use the "feedback" links that are generally available. These links have proved most successful in getting information back to the teams that are responsible for the projects.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
cognifloyd

Post by cognifloyd »

techgy wrote:You are correct when you state that many of the designers of projects do not frequent the forum on a regular basis. The community encourages participation from those at CHQ, but whether they feel they have the time to spend on the forum is entirely up to them.
OK. That just means I'll head to a different avenue for information.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

techgurufloyd wrote:OK. That just means I'll head to a different avenue for information.
I would do both. I would first use the "feedback" link on the program web site and then follow up with a post to the forum. Posting it here notifies the community of a problem and it's possible that someone else has experienced what you experienced and may have an answer.

However, as I indicated those who are responsible for the design of the programs do not always monitor the forums, so providing feedback is essential.
vaughnpau
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by vaughnpau »

kennova,
The search box is changing as we speak. Look for it to come out of hiding in one of the next few releases. Thanks for the feedback.
vaughnpau
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by vaughnpau »

techgurufloyd and techgy,
Sorry to be so absent here. The design team has been buried getting the new.lds.org up and running. But here we are now. Ask away on any remaining burning questions. I am the creative director for the new site and am surrounded by an amazing team of very talented designers. It has been an amazing experience to work on this project and see the tender mercies of the Lord as it has come to life. The Lord is certainly in the details of this project and seems to care very much that this site reach the world. Miracles. Just plain miracles.
techgy
Community Moderators

New.LDS.Org Questions

Post by techgy »

vaughnpau wrote:Sorry to be so absent here. The design team has been buried getting the new.lds.org up and running. But here we are now. Ask away on any remaining burning questions. I am the creative director for the new site and am surrounded by an amazing team of very talented designers. It has been an amazing experience to work on this project and see the tender mercies of the Lord as it has come to life. The Lord is certainly in the details of this project and seems to care very much that this site reach the world. Miracles. Just plain miracles.
I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding questions to respond to, but permit me to begin the process with a recent one. The question is related to the Exporting function in the Directory - click HERE for the thread.

In addition I was wondering about the feature that permitted clerks to edit information. When the directory first came out I was able to make corrections to members information in the directory. I noticed the other day that either that feature has been removed or the access level has been changed to where an Asst. Stake Clerk no longer has that access. Can you elaborate on this?

Is there a way to obtain a list of all members in the stake w/o have to do each ward individually?

The date when printing is incorrect.

These are a few items that I've run into and that have been mentioned in the forum.

Please pass a well done along to the team. The entire project is really looking good.
cognifloyd

Questions

Post by cognifloyd »

vaughnpau wrote:techgurufloyd and techgy,
Sorry to be so absent here. The design team has been buried getting the new.lds.org up and running.
new.lds.org is great. I really like it. The hard work shows. :)
vaughnpau wrote:But here we are now. Ask away on any remaining burning questions.
I listed 15 questions in my post here: http://tech.lds.org/forum/showpost.php?p=46889

Take your pick and thank you for taking the time to shed some light on new.lds.org

Thanks,
Jacob Floyd
allenjblodgett

youth.LDS.org

Post by allenjblodgett »

has anyone experienced problems when clicking links on the new.lds.org homepage to go the youth site? I know that the link goes to pages in new.lds.org/youth... when the youth site is still on the subdomain name beta.lds.org. When I click the links on the homepage is gives me an error message "Access Denied." I've sent a message via the feedback page, but have not received a response.

Return to “Main Church Website”