new.lds.org Transition

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
dmmackay

new.lds.org Transition

Post by dmmackay »

We are considering moving over to new.lds.org as of Jan 1st. I just had one quick question though.

Is there going to be an option to redirect members who go to http://www.lds.org to the new Calendard/Directory?

I understand the old and new sites will run in parallel until the end of 2011 so I am just concerned that members will be going to the default www. site and not seeing the proper Calendar etc.

Thanks,
Mike
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dmmackay wrote:Is there going to be an option to redirect members who go to www.lds.org to the new Calendard/Directory?
That was discussed a couple of days ago this post and the two that follow it. Basically, the answer is that none of us know -- nothing along those lines has been mentioned in any of the official documentation. The old Calendar will certainly be live, which could cause some confusion, so it would indeed be helpful to have some way to redirect members to whichever site the stake is actually using.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Having a way of clearly identifying what version of the calendar is in use would be helpful. Otherwise, the transition is going to quite confusing. I suppose one could just post a lot of repeating events on the LUWS calendar with reference to the new calendar URL :rolleyes:

Sort of a tacky solution, but at least it would get the message out.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

techgy wrote:Having a way of clearly identifying what version of the calendar is in use would be helpful. Otherwise, the transition is going to quite confusing. I suppose one could just post a lot of repeating events on the LUWS calendar with reference to the new calendar URL :rolleyes:

Sort of a tacky solution, but at least it would get the message out.
We pondered this as well.

A recurring daily calendar entry on the old LUWS after we make the switch:
"Visit our new calendar at New.lds.org" with some supporting instruction and documentation handed out at our meetings.

how to get the message out on the old directory, though? I guess a home page message could also redirect people.

Will we be ready at the same time as our stake?

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”