Official Letters from CHQ

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kalnius

Official Letters from CHQ

Post by kalnius »

As a ward clerk, what do I do with letters from the First Presidency that have been read in over the pulpit during sacrament? Should I keep a copy on file for reference or simply toss them out?

Thanks.
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

As a bishop, I've been keeping them since I was called. However, there currently is electronic access to the documents by the stake presidency so if you need something you don't have, they can access it.

Additionally, it appears that in the new leader section of beta.lds.org, there will be a way for other Church leaders (wards, etc.) to be able to have access to this online as well. At least that is the way I'm interpreting what I'm seeing in the leader section of beta.lds.org
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

macsense wrote:As a bishop, I've been keeping them since I was called. However, there currently is electronic access to the documents by the stake presidency so if you need something you don't have, they can access it.

Additionally, it appears that in the new leader section of beta.lds.org, there will be a way for other Church leaders (wards, etc.) to be able to have access to this online as well. At least that is the way I'm interpreting what I'm seeing in the leader section of beta.lds.org
As far as I am aware, only the stake president, not his counselors, can access these documents electronically, so I think you are wise to keep a binder or folder in the clerk's office or bishop's office with the letters there.

I do not know what is in the beta, because I do not have access to the leader section. The stake president keeps asking me, and I keep saying, sorry, you have to find out for yourself, at least for now.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Ozzy wrote:As a ward clerk, what do I do with letters from the First Presidency that have been read in over the pulpit during sacrament? Should I keep a copy on file for reference or simply toss them out?

Thanks.
It would always be a good idea to keep them, especially for the benefit of the next leaders. Many keep them close together with Book 1.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

macsense wrote:Additionally, it appears that in the new leader section of beta.lds.org, there will be a way for other Church leaders (wards, etc.) to be able to have access to this online as well. At least that is the way I'm interpreting what I'm seeing in the leader section of beta.lds.org
Where do you see this? I don't see anything that leads me to believe they're expanding availability. But I could just be missing something.

I worked with my stake clerk to build a folder of all the letters we could find. Using an html document, we link to the letters saved as a pdf. The bigger challenge is getting the wards to update the folders and html files (we send them new letters and html files). I'm working on some options to make this process a bit simpler, but I'm still hitting a couple of snags here and there.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

nutterb wrote:Where do you see this? I don't see anything that leads me to believe they're expanding availability. But I could just be missing something.
When I log into the leader section of beta.lds.org and then look under the Training and Policies tab, I see a grayed out section entitled "Official Communication Library". It is described as "Secure repository for receiving, searching, and viewing official communications from the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles."

I just assumed that this is where they may end up. I certainly may be mistaken and this could be something else.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

macsense wrote:When I log into the leader section of beta.lds.org and then look under the Training and Policies tab, I see a grayed out section entitled "Official Communication Library". It is described as "Secure repository for receiving, searching, and viewing official communications from the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles."

I just assumed that this is where they may end up. I certainly may be mistaken and this could be something else.
Okay, I get it now. I'm a clerk, and I don't have the "Secure Repository..." option. Looks like they may be extending it to bishops, but not to clerks.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Thanks for the help and discussion on this topic everyone.
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
rfinder-p40

Post by rfinder-p40 »

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I noticed in this thread that supposedly the Stake President has access to a repository of official communications from CHQ - how does he access this? I'm the Stake Clerk and so it sounds like I don't have access and I'm fairly certain our Stake President doesn't know he has access to this, so I would like to help educate him, where does he need to go to find these letters?

Thanks,

Rich
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rfinder wrote:I noticed in this thread that supposedly the Stake President has access to a repository of official communications from CHQ - how does he access this? I'm the Stake Clerk and so it sounds like I don't have access and I'm fairly certain our Stake President doesn't know he has access to this, so I would like to help educate him, where does he need to go to find these letters?
This is explained in the wiki under Online Official Communication Library.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Membership Help”