Oracle XE Virtual Machine

Support and Announcements for the Tech Java Web Application Platform (setup, configuration, bugs, feedback).
HeathMA
Church Employee
Church Employee

Oracle XE Virtual Machine

Post by HeathMA »

We have put out a VirtualBox virtual machine for running Oracle XE. Documentation on this VM is available here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Oracle_VM

If you would like to use Oracle but don't want to install it, this may be a good option for you. We have tested Oracle XE with a 96MB VM and it still runs reasonably well with such a small memory footprint so using the VM may be a better option resource wise than installing Oracle XE natively. Your mileage may vary.

If you have any questions or feedback regarding this VM, please let use know!
YoungstromMJ

Post by YoungstromMJ »

This is just the beginning of our attempts to improve community development with Oracle. We also have plans to do some minor integrations into the IDE for running the database migration tool.

We're planning to make the oracle xe vm instances use a common username, password, and schema name so that there won't be any twittling with credentials on each machine, etc.

The hope is that we can get the process for setting up a development database down to 3 steps:

1. Install Virtual Box
2. Run Oracle XE VM
3. Run database migration from the ide.

Once we get the IDE enhancements complete we'll start doing some hunting for projects who want to beta test this solution.

Mike
danhively

Post by danhively »

I tried to import the appliance and get this error
Virtualbox error NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Any ideas? I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and VirtualBox 3.2.8.
YoungstromMJ

Post by YoungstromMJ »

danh000 wrote:I tried to import the appliance and get this error
Virtualbox error NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Any ideas? I'm running on Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and VirtualBox 3.2.8.
We recently discovered that our image doesn't work with 3.2.8. We updated the documentation to this point and provide a link to Virtual Box 3.2.6. You should be able to just uninstall 3.2.8 and install 3.2.6. Let us know if you have any other problems.

Mike
HeathMA
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HeathMA »

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 x64 and VirtualBox 3.1.6_OSE r59338 installed via apt and the VM works just fine for me.
danhively

Post by danhively »

youngstrommj wrote:We recently discovered that our image doesn't work with 3.2.8. We updated the documentation to this point and provide a link to Virtual Box 3.2.6. You should be able to just uninstall 3.2.8 and install 3.2.6. Let us know if you have any other problems.

Mike
Looks like there is a tool to fix this at http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7289#comment:5. I'll give it a try and report on my results.
danhively

Post by danhively »

Well I never got around to trying the fix so I just installed VirtualBox 3.2.6, imported the appliance and then upgraded to VirtualBox 3.2.8. No problems.
BrumfieldAD

Post by BrumfieldAD »

The updated 1.2 version of the VM should fix problems you've had importing into VirtualBox 3.2.8. You can download it here: http://code.lds.org/downloads/LDSTech-O ... VM-1.2.zip

Let us know if you have any other problems.

-Asiel
danhively

Post by danhively »

Works great!

Return to “Java Web Project Support (Stack)”