converting ward lists into excel

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jdlessley wrote:MLS will not export custom report data. It gives that impression from the custom reports management screen but the export there is only to export the filtering criteria and the report format for a custom report. The data does not accompany that export. The MLS export function is limited to the data in the export dialog. Any filtering of data not done by MLS at the export dialog must be done after the data is exported. Since MLS filters some data to be excluded during export there is no other way to include the data other than manually adding it after the export.

But you can open a custom report, then click the "Save to File" button at the bottom of the screen. This saves the data in the report as a CSV. It is an export, it just isn't labeled "Export." (The custom-report function that is labeled "Export" does just save the report criteria.)

In this way it is possible to devise custom reports to export various membership data elements that are not included in the general export functionality found under File -> Export at the main MLS menu. For example, home-teaching history, or date of joining the ward, can be exported this way.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Thank you for the correction. Since I have never needed to use the "Save to File" button before the labeling is a bit cryptic. I guess that would answer marianomarini_vi's question.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fletcher.carpenter

Post by fletcher.carpenter »

jdlessley wrote:MLS will not export custom report data. It gives that impression from the custom reports management screen but the export there is only to export the filtering criteria and the report format for a custom report. The data does not accompany that export. The MLS export function is limited to the data in the export dialog. Any filtering of data not done by MLS at the export dialog must be done after the data is exported. Since MLS filters some data to be excluded during export there is no other way to include the data other than manually adding it after the export.
You can print the custom report as a pdf. When selecting a printer just click on the xps document writer. This "prints it" to a file, this file can then be converted into xcel with several different online applications for free.
aaronmarksmith

Post by aaronmarksmith »

jdlessley wrote:Thank you for the correction. Since I have never needed to use the "Save to File" button before the labeling is a bit cryptic. I guess that would answer marianomarini_vi's question.
I believe you need export permissions to do so, which is only granted to administrative users, IIRC.
@@ron
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

PSpencer wrote:Okay, real basic question. Hopefully a real simple solution. I'm wanting to put our ward membership into an excel spreadsheet so that I can easily manipulate it to note when people have spoken in Sacrament meeting, etc.

Is there a way to input people's names into excel without having to type them all in manually? I hope so....

And if anyone has any nifty templates that they find helpful, I'd love to take a look.

Thanks,

Peter
Here are some posts where people have uploaded forms for tracking callings.

jbh001
Rasmussen
Mr.Intel
jbh001 (2)
nutterb
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

geeksmith wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Thank you for the correction. Since I have never needed to use the "Save to File" button before the labeling is a bit cryptic. I guess that would answer marianomarini_vi's question.
I believe you need export permissions to do so, which is only granted to administrative users, IIRC.
No, the Save to File option does not require administrative permissions; it is available to all users of MLS, even those with only Organizational permissions.

Save to File is a button on the bottom of the screen when you are looking at the results of a Custom Report, or it is on the Edit menu in many other situations, and available through Ctrl+Shift+S in even more.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”