Changing unit names in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ralphkbair

Changing unit names in MLS

Post by ralphkbair »

With the change from "Student Wards" to Young Single Adult Wards, all of the unit names in our stake will change, but we will retain the current unit numbers. I assume one will just need to edit the unit name in MLS (System Options, Unit, then edit Unit Information) while leaving the unit numbers unchanged. Thanks in advance for any advice.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While you probably can change the name of the ward in MLS, I'm not sure if that change has any effect outside of MLS. I'd talk to Local Unit Support about making sure any official paperwork is filed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I seem to remember this is part of the Leader and Unit Change Request section of the Stake MLS. You'll notice that the option to change any of the unit info is blocked out. So is most of the info for Bishops, etc. That's because this info is supplied from the CDOL to the unit. Any official change in unit name will probably be pushed down to your unit(s) through that system.
danpass

Post by danpass »

crislapi wrote:I seem to remember this is part of the Leader and Unit Change Request section of the Stake MLS. You'll notice that the option to change any of the unit info is blocked out. So is most of the info for Bishops, etc. That's because this info is supplied from the CDOL to the unit. Any official change in unit name will probably be pushed down to your unit(s) through that system.
Speaking from recent firsthand experience, I can say that currently, changes in unit name are not pushed down to MLS.

For each ward that undergoes a name change, a user with administrator rights in the ward MLS, must do as the OP described to change the unit name through the system options. Until this is done, even though the name has been officially changed and is listed correctly in the CDOL, the old name will still show on the MLS login screen and anywhere else (i.e. reports, etc.) where the unit name is displayed.

The system options in stake MLS currently allow you to change ward unit names as they appear in stake MLS reports. When the names of several wards in our stake were recently changed and I saw that the old names were still showing in stake MLS, I corrected the names in the stake system options. I found that within a week or two, some of the changes I made were getting undone and the old names were returning. I finally discovered that some of the wards had not yet updated their unit name in ward MLS. The old, incorrect name was occasionally getting fed to stake MLS and overwriting the changes I had made.
ralphkbair

Post by ralphkbair »

I'd like to thank danpass for his advice based on his recent experience. I will proceed as he suggested. If any other clerks have had a different experience, I would appreciate that insight as well. Thanks RKB

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”