LUWS question

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lehrschallbrian

LUWS question

Post by lehrschallbrian »

As exec sec should I have admin rights on MLS and the LUWS??? Just interested in knowing if I am or not?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wakegop wrote:As exec sec should I have admin rights on MLS and the LUWS???
It's the bishop's decision in both cases. In my experience, it is rare for an executive secretary to have admin rights to MLS -- that is more typically the ward clerk. But it's certainly not inconceivable that a bishop might choose an executive secretary, particularly if he had technical competence that happened to be lacking among the clerks.

As for LUWS, I've seen lots of variety in administration there. In our stake, we have one ward clerk, one executive secretary, an assistant executive secretary, a couple of assistant ward clerks, as well as some website administrators who aren't clerks or executive secretaries at all. There is no official policy on who can or must be a website administrator.
wakegop wrote:Just interested in knowing if I am or not?
Aside from asking your bishop or other users of the systems, it's pretty easy to figure it out if you are an official administrator. You log in to MLS or LUWS, and see if you can perform administrative functions. If you can, you are; if you can't, you're not.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

What access do you need?

Post by kisaac »

wakegop wrote:As exec sec should I have admin rights on MLS and the LUWS??? Just interested in knowing if I am or not?
You will automatically have some rights granted to you on the new Beta.lds.org (new.lds.org) based on your calling, I think. I know our exec. sec. can get into almost all the areas I can as ward clerk- except the discipline areas. Log in and look at the "tools" and choose "show all tools" to see what tools you are granted with your calling. Access to these tools will have nothing to do with what your bishop decides...its a permissions decision from church HQ. I don't know of any listing that tells what callings can access what tools, but I hope we see one soon.
Alan_Brown wrote:It's the bishop's decision in both cases. In my experience, it is rare for an executive secretary to have admin rights to MLS -- that is more typically the ward clerk. But it's certainly not inconceivable...
And that's why we call it "The Clerk's computer!"

Alan_Brown is right, and it depends on how the work is divided between you and the other "extended" bishopric members as to what info you will require for your job, and how you get that info. I've noticed that each ward has their own "traditions" as how the work is accomplished. You really don't need or want more access then your job requires.

In our ward, the exec. sec. sits in almost every meeting the ward clerk attends, (except discipline hearings, of course) and has basically the same access to MLS and LUWS, except the clerk is an MLS ADMIN, but we have different job functions on these systems, and different tasks at the meetings.

Obviously, and exec. sec. should have some rights to MLS. It's been traditional in our ward that the exec. sec. handle the "bishops action and interview list," and uses it for scheduling weekly youth interviews for the bishop and the counselors. His tells me he can access this now from beta.lds.org. Obviously, before beta.lds.org he needed to be granted access to MLS unless I were to continually provide it to him, which would seem like an extra step in the process. I'm sure everyone here can say "we do it another way."

How much access? If he also handles the temple recommend scheduling, he will need either additional recommend access, or a printed list given regularly from me. I think beta.lds.org already grants him this access based on his exec. sec calling as well, so MLS access may or may not be needed. MLS gives far better control for reports for the bishop, generally.

Our Exec. sec. also reminds the bishop of upcoming ward member birthdays that the bishop may want to acknowledge, and he gets this from MLS (and now he can get it from beta.lds.org.)

If your ward is using MLS to track prayers or talks for youth (through custom fields) the exec. sec. may be involved in entering these on a weekly basis as well, and need MLS access. In our ward, the Ward Clerk tracks youth and adult talks, and the exec. sec. assigns and tracks sacrament prayers. Again, everyone here could say we do it differently.
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

Thanks for the info that helps alot!!
kisaac
Community Moderators

calling tools now missing

Post by kisaac »

kisaac wrote:You will automatically have some rights granted to you on the new Beta.lds.org (new.lds.org) based on your calling, I think. I know our exec. sec. can get into almost all the areas I can as ward clerk- except the discipline areas. Log in and look at the "tools" and choose "show all tools" to see what tools you are granted with your calling. Access to these tools will have nothing to do with what your bishop decides...its a permissions decision from church HQ. I don't know of any listing that tells what callings can access what tools, but I hope we see one soon.

Spoke to soon! The "tools" based on your callings seem to be down right now, (probably due to beta "tweaking,") and it won't show any to me now...so maybe give it a few days and try again to view tools based on your calling

Return to “General Discussions”