New Church Handbook of Instructions 2010?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sean.whittier

New Church Handbook of Instructions 2010?

Post by sean.whittier »

I keep hearing that there will be a new version of the Church Handbook of Instructions this year, but have yet to hear anything official. Does anyone know if and when this will happen. Will it be both book 1 and book 2, or just 1 of them?

We are short some copies, and before we go through the hassle of getting them I would like to know if new ones are coming out in a few months.

Thanks in advance
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sean.whittier wrote:I keep hearing that there will be a new version of the Church Handbook of Instructions this year, but have yet to hear anything official. Does anyone know if and when this will happen. Will it be both book 1 and book 2, or just 1 of them?

We are short some copies, and before we go through the hassle of getting them I would like to know if new ones are coming out in a few months.
Yes, it's official that there will be new handbooks (both Book 1 and Book 2) this year. We will receive training at a Worldwide Leadership Training Broadcast on November 13, 2010 (see details). That broadcast was announced in an official letter dated 5 May 2010.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jameslanderson

Just who are "Ward Clerks"?

Post by jameslanderson »

The meeting you cite brings up a point that has confused me for awhile.

Are "Assistant Ward Clerks for Finance" "Clerks" for the purpose of general HQ announcements of requested attendance at various meetings? Or not?

My understanding has always been that each local unit has but a single "Clerk", perhaps with some noteworthy exceptions, but I have been known to be confused on many issues.

Surely the truth is not hidden on this subject, just slightly obscure for some of us of limited insight. Thanks.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jameslanderson wrote:The meeting you cite brings up a point that has confused me for awhile.

Are "Assistant Ward Clerks for Finance" "Clerks" for the purpose of general HQ announcements of requested attendance at various meetings? Or not?

My understanding has always been that each local unit has but a single "Clerk", perhaps with some noteworthy exceptions, but I have been known to be confused on many issues.

Surely the truth is not hidden on this subject, just slightly obscure for some of us of limited insight. Thanks.
I can't say authoritatively, but I interpret an Assistant Clerk as a Clerk "for the purpose of general HQ announcements of requested attendance at various meetings." It seems as though the collective body of assistant clerks needs to know about as much from the Handbook as the official clerk needs to know. Just a personal guess though.

Anyone here have an authoritative answer that can be cited? If not, then perhaps local leadership can make that decision.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mkmurray wrote:I can't say authoritatively, but I interpret an Assistant Clerk as a Clerk "for the purpose of general HQ announcements of requested attendance at various meetings." It seems as though the collective body of assistant clerks needs to know about as much from the Handbook as the official clerk needs to know. Just a personal guess though.

Anyone here have an authoritative answer that can be cited? If not, then perhaps local leadership can make that decision.
Our stake always invites both Clerks and their assistants to all stake meetings where a clerk would be invited. However, I would agree that it's a local decision as to who would be invited to ANY meeting.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jameslanderson wrote:Are "Assistant Ward Clerks for Finance" "Clerks" for the purpose of general HQ announcements of requested attendance at various meetings? Or not?
I don't have a definitive answer, but I would note two points from the Handbook:
  • In the handbook, there are references to the "ward clerk" or "stake clerk" as well as references to "assistant ward clerk" and "assistant stake clerk". But beyond that, in many cases throughout the book, the term "clerk" or "clerks" is used to refer to all these callings collectively. So there is certainly justification for thinking "clerks" refers to assistants as well.
  • For the semi-annual stake priesthood leadership meeting, among the assigned attendees both stake clerks and ward clerks are explicitly mentioned, followed by a parenthetical comment "(and assistant clerks as needed)". Although this Worldwide Leadership Training meeting is somewhat different, that is probably a good guideline.
The bottom line is that the stake president will make the decision for his stake; hopefully it will be announced in a way in each stake that will leave no doubt as to who is to attend.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

This is a slight "fork" from the thread subject...
jameslanderson wrote:The meeting you cite brings up a point that has confused me for awhile.

I'm pretty sure that the "boss" of any assistant clerks is the bishop, and not the Ward Clerk, but I think it's pretty clear that the actual WARD CLERK is responsible for the collective work of the "clerks office," including finances and membership.

Should the assistant clerks attend training meetings? That probably is a local leadership decision.

The following is Quoted in part from a very official looking PDF file on LDS.org, found here, and also summarized on LDSTech here.

Ward Clerk areas of responsibility.

Administrator

• The ward clerk should: Provide membership and financial reports directly to the bishop.
  • Analyze trends, strengths, and weaknesses within the ward.
  • Supervise the work of assistant clerks and secretaries.
Trainer
The ward clerk should: Respond to record-keeping questions and requests for help.
Make sure that assistant clerks and secretaries understand:
  • o Their record-keeping responsibilities.
  • o How to use the Church record-keeping software.
  • o The value and importance of their work.
  • o The confidentiality of records.
jameslanderson wrote: Surely the truth is not hidden on this subject...
Does this help?
jameslanderson

Thanks all.

Post by jameslanderson »

Thanks for all the interesting responses. That's about where I thought we were. I think I will attempt to get my Stake President to give some direction for "compliance" in our units. There should be plenty of time before the November meeting for clarity to become established.
nicklewis

Assistant Ward Clerks

Post by nicklewis »

Just one final note from the Handbook: "Assistant ward clerks also work under the direction of the ward clerk."
Nick Lewis
Melbourne Ward Clerk
Cocoa Florida Stake
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

just got the new handbooks this week!! Going to give them a good read tonight, and see what's changed…

Return to “General Discussions”