Can't reinstall windows!

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lrawlins

Can't reinstall windows!

Post by lrawlins »

After another fun evening with a certain Ward Computer it was decided to simply reformat the drive.

I know this machine has had malware and who knows what else on it and now it will run OK for a few minutes then come to a stop for 15 or 20 minutes before going again.

When I went to do a clean install of Windows I quickly found out that the number on the "Genuine Windows" sticker on the box was not valid.

Has anyone else ran into this one?

I was also told that when the machine was received in December, 2009 it had a bad mother board and it had to be replaced before it was even put into service.

Nothing like a computer that keeps on giving!!

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I've never heard of a invalid sticker, but I have run into conflicts between the install media and the key. (OEM vs non-OEM - IIRC) Are you using the install media that came with the machine or from someplace else?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

As far as I know it is the OEM disc sent with the machine. There were no other disc in the office.

I will contact Dell and find out what the options are.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Let us know how it works out. You also might want to contact Local Unit support to see what options they might provide.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

I contacted Dell and they think the hard drive is failing. I will run a diagnostic and see what it comes up with.

I'd best contact MLS tomorrow and have the connection reset just in case I have to move them to the other computer in the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lrawlins wrote:I'd best contact MLS tomorrow and have the connection reset just in case I have to move them to the other computer in the building.
Good idea - but I don't think you'll need to do that if you're moving them to another ward's computer. But in re-doing Windows, I'm sure you'll need to do it anyway. Better to keep your options open.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lrawlins wrote:When I went to do a clean install of Windows I quickly found out that the number on the "Genuine Windows" sticker on the box was not valid.

Has anyone else ran into this one?
Dell uses a copy of Windows that is keyed to the BIOS on the computer. As long as you use a Dell install CD, you shouldn't have to enter a product key.

On the flipside, if you don't use a Dell install CD and enter the product key on the COA, it will usually trigger this and you end up having to call and explain the situation to Microsoft. It hasn't been a big deal when I have run into it before.

The easiest solution is to use a Dell CD to do the install. If you don't have the CD that came with the machine, you've almost certainly got someone in your area who got one with their Dell PC. Borrow it and run the install.

On the other flipside :), using a Dell install CD to install on a non-Dell machine and entering the product key from the COA on the non-Dell machine is going to trigger a similar problem.
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

I am using the Dell CD that came with the machine.

Even Dell was surprised that it wouldn't just install. Then I noticed that the Windows sticker is for Vista and not XP.

The drive utilty came out OK.

I ran spy ware and mall ware apps again but it still stalls now and then.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lrawlins wrote:I ran spy ware and mall ware apps again but it still stalls now and then.
Have you checked for dust buildup on the heat sink and bad capacitors?
lrawlins

Post by lrawlins »

It turns out the trick is to boot from the Windows XP install disc.

You'd think they would mention that somewhere instead of making those of us who don't know better look really, well you know.....

Return to “Clerk Computers”