Entering Donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
JStirmey-p40

Entering Donations

Post by JStirmey-p40 »

Hello
I used to be a Ward Clerk some time back, and recently got called as Branch Clerk in my new location. Immediatly after being set apart, i was entering Tithing and was wondering if this step was correct or not.
After entering the amounts from the Tithing slip, I clicked "new slip", instead of "new donation" ( like I said, its been a while). Was this correct,:confused: and if not, how can I fix the error. The batch has been closed and sent.

Thanks

Joe
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It sounds like you should have used "New donation."

From https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Donations
Q: How do you record multiple slips/donors that are made with one check?
A: Using MLS complete the first slip/donor as normal then select New Slip to add the details of the second slip/donor. This can be repeated for a third, fourth slip etc. The slips will be shown as tabs at the top of the left hand side of the screen. The slips total should be reconciled with the funds total entered on the right.

So... if you weren't entering multiple donations which were combined into one check then you goofed.

As for fixing this, you can make corrections to a closed batch. Start with the "View/Update Donations" screen. It will take some time but as long as the totals for the whole batch are the same it won't be as big of a mess as you might think.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

New slip is only used if one donor has made multiple donations (multiple slips for one person) for that batch. Any time you want to add a donation for a new donor, you should use new donation. You can also use save donation when you have completed entering the donation for one donor and are ready to enter the next.
JStirmey-p40

Post by JStirmey-p40 »

Thanks for the reply...Much appreciated
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

crislapi wrote:New slip is only used if one donor has made multiple donations (multiple slips for one person) for that batch. Any time you want to add a donation for a new donor, you should use new donation. You can also use save donation when you have completed entering the donation for one donor and are ready to enter the next.
There is another reason for using the new slip button. If there are multiple donors using a slip for each donor and there is one check covering all the donors' donations you should use the new slip button. (The same as GregAnderson stated.)

For example I make a donation and my wife makes a donation and we each fill out a donation slip but only one check is written to cover both donations. The clerk would select one of our names, say mine, in the donor box; the amounts for each donation category would be entered for my donation slip; then the check number is entered with the total amount. There would be an amount in the difference box before my wife's slip is processed while the funds total would indicate the amount of the check. The clerk then uses the new slip button to bring up another slip; selects my wife's name; and enters her donations. The funds total still indicates the amount of the check and the difference amount should indicate $0.00. For this example two donations slips are processed but only one check covers both slips.

This would also apply for a situation where all the family members of a family make donations, fill out donation slips, and contribute a combination of a checks, notes, and coin in one donation envelope. The clerk could use the new slip feature to enter all the family donations without having to ask to whom the check should be applied toward, to whom the notes should be applied toward, and to whom the coins should be applied toward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”