Termination of Marriage by death

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
msteinbaugh

Termination of Marriage by death

Post by msteinbaugh »

I cannot create a new "current spouse" for a member whose original spouse died. :mad: I terminated the original marriage by reason of death and submitted that change to the membership record. I received a new membership record but it showed the original spouse (listed as deceased). I then went back into MLS to create a new spouse for the individual but MLS will not allow me to do so. I tried terminating the marriage again. I edited the individual's record to add a spouse but, the original spouse continues to appear and I can't seem to edit or add. I am at a loss about what to do to enter correct information in this member's record. :confused: Any suggestions/answers?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

msteinbaugh wrote:I cannot create a new "current spouse" for a member whose original spouse died. :mad: I terminated the original marriage by reason of death and submitted that change to the membership record. I received a new membership record but it showed the original spouse (listed as deceased). I then went back into MLS to create a new spouse for the individual but MLS will not allow me to do so. I tried terminating the marriage again. I edited the individual's record to add a spouse but, the original spouse continues to appear and I can't seem to edit or add. I am at a loss about what to do to enter correct information in this member's record. :confused: Any suggestions/answers?

When you say "I then went back into MLS to create a new spouse for the individual," what do you mean? Did you use the Membership > Record Ordinances > Record Civil Marriage option? Because that is typically how you add a spouse. Unless, of course, it was a temple marriage, in which case the Temple Department will initiate the updating of the spouse on the membership record.

Also, when you say "MLS will not allow me to do so," can you explain what error message or other action leads you to conclude that MLS doesn't allow this?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
msteinbaugh

Termination of Marriage

Post by msteinbaugh »

Thanks Allan, I knew I was missing something and you pointed me in the right direction. I've got it taken care of now. Appreciate you help.:)
gdow

Post by gdow »

My problem is a little different. I have recorded the death of a spouse twice, and twice the person has returned as alive and married.

The procedure I followed was to terminate the marriage via death. I have copies of the transaction records that confirm that the death was transmitted to SLC. However, soon after (I don't know if it is one week or several) the sister returns as not deceased and begins showing up on all the reports again (like expired temple recommend) etc.

I have received no messages from SLC indicating there was a rejection of the termination on their end. Am I supposed to do something different?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

gdow wrote:My problem is a little different. I have recorded the death of a spouse twice, and twice the person has returned as alive and married.

The procedure I followed was to terminate the marriage via death. I have copies of the transaction records that confirm that the death was transmitted to SLC. However, soon after (I don't know if it is one week or several) the sister returns as not deceased and begins showing up on all the reports again (like expired temple recommend) etc.

I have received no messages from SLC indicating there was a rejection of the termination on their end. Am I supposed to do something different?
It's not clear to me just what action you took. It sounds like you went to the surviving spouse's record, and on the Current Spouse tab chose "Terminate Marriage." That would be the correct action to take if the spouse was not a member.

But if the spouse is a member (which seems to be the case, since you talk of her record returning and that she shows up as having an expired temple recommend), then that is not the correct action. Instead, you would need to record her death via Membership Records > View and Update > Death of Member. That will enable you to record her death, which will automatically record the appropriate spouse change on the surviving husband's record.

So are you only recording the death on the surviving husband's record (incorrect), or are you instead recording the death of the sister by using the "Death of Member" feature (correct)? If you are doing the former, it would make sense that the record would come back, since the sister would seem to still be alive, and you can't record the termination of a marriage by death, if the spouse is still alive (according to her record).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gdow wrote:The procedure I followed was to terminate the marriage via death.
The rest of the message indicates the the deceased is a member. I'm not in front of MLS right now, but I'd think the procedure would be to record her death which would then update the marital status of the spouse rather then the other way round.

"Terminate the marriage via death" is what I'd do to record the death of a non-member spouse.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gdow

Post by gdow »

OK that's helpful. She is a member and I was using the wrong procedure.

Thanks!

Return to “Membership Help”