Slow Printing from MLS on LaserJet 1320

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russjones

Slow Printing from MLS on LaserJet 1320

Post by russjones »

Our ward was just given a new LaserJet 1320 from the stake for our MLS computer. I used the HP install CD and the drivers installed with no problem. When we print reports or directories the print jobs take much longer than with our old LaserJet 1020. It will print one page, pause, print another page. It is quite a long process. I looked at the settings on the printer and it shows 16 MB of memory on the printer but only 5.58 MB available. The print jobs of the directories are sometimes 15 - 20 MB. So my guess is the printer is running out of memory.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Russ Jones
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Check out [thread=253]this thread[/thread].
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

We ran into a similar issue in our stake. I'd call MLS support and ask them if this is related to the printer driver. I specifically remember a PCL5 vs PCL6 driver issue.
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
rickhellewell-p40

Slow printing HP 1300 - solved

Post by rickhellewell-p40 »

Change to the PCL5 driver (download from www.hp.com). This will speed up printing quite a bit.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

In our situation, the printer was hooked up with a serial cable and updating drivers didn't help. We share the building with another ward and they changed to a USB cable and things went much faster.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bhofmann wrote:In our situation, the printer was hooked up with a serial cable and updating drivers didn't help.
I didn't think any modern laser printers supported serial.

I'd think parallel should be fast enough, but it may depend on what mode it was operating in.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

RussellHltn wrote:I didn't think any modern laser printers supported serial.

I'd think parallel should be fast enough, but it may depend on what mode it was operating in.
It might be parallel because it is a fairly new printer(2 years old). Let's just say it was not USB and changing it to USB seemed to help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bhofmann wrote:Let's just say it was not USB and changing it to USB seemed to help.
It may depend on the printer or computer port. I ran tests with an older printer (I think a 1300). You'd need a stop watch to see the difference - if any.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”