Hymns on Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jackcholt

Hymns on Android

Post by jackcholt »

I received this email today:

Hi Jack,

I'm just an Android user wondering when the Hymns will be downloadable/viewable in the Gospel Library for Android. (I understand you're the team lead for the project.)

I have some school experience programming in Java, and have dabbled a tiny bit in Android programming, and would love to try and help get the Android app on par with the iPhone app.

--
Dan Burton
jackcholt

Post by jackcholt »

I think that eventually we will support the Hymns under "Managed Content" like the iPhone app does. But, as a musician, I am wondering whether we should try to somehow include the lines of music in addition to just the lyrics.

What does everyone think?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

That is one of hte missing items on Mormon Channel's app is the ability to play what hymns audio (both words and music and music only) through that application also.

And if there are other usable music files that can be streamed those could be added in as well. Whatever the Church has that is also on lds.org would be very much desired by some.

Not that hard to add, just some programming to get the files in and be able to find them, most are in mp3 format if not all. Also, any chance of getting the rest of the audio files for earlier conferences (1997-2001) and some other audio material already on lds.org into the app as well? (may need to reformat to mp3 to do it, those are in .ram (Real Player) format).
drb226

Post by drb226 »

While audio would be a nice addition, I personally see myself mostly using this feature as a mini hymn book.

Singing a hymn for FHE or Sunday School but there's not enough hymn books to go around? Gospel Library app to the rescue! On a long drive and want to occupy the kids with something spiritual? Whip out the phone and sing a few hymns. These are the use cases I'm envisioning. I like to sing various parts, so the notes as well as lyrics would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd like to see the option to include at least the vocal parts. I'm too slow to be functionally musically literate, but I can see the part going up, down and any jumps it makes.

Although I do wonder how to do that on such a small screen - that's why I'm suggesting it as a option.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hatchna

Post by hatchna »

I would love to see the hymns added to the Gospel Library Android app. I think it would be best to include the lines of music as well. The potential of this app is awesome. I love it so far!
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

I use the LDS Hymns iPhone app by Ricky Blookfield. This app displays the musical score as well as the text. I have found it much more useful that I imagined I would. I never used the text only hymns that I used to have on an old Palm phone.

LukasOlson

Post by LukasOlson »

jackcholt wrote:I think that eventually we will support the Hymns under "Managed Content" like the iPhone app does. But, as a musician, I am wondering whether we should try to somehow include the lines of music in addition to just the lyrics.

What does everyone think?
I would love to have the actual lines of music. Having just the lyrics would be nice, but the sheet music would be tons better, in my opinion. I love singing the bass and tenor lines, so I need the lines of music! Otherwise, I just make up the part and it sounds terrible.
brothergui-p40

Post by brothergui-p40 »

yes, yes... please add a hymnal to the gospel library! that is one thing i think would HUGELY improve what seems already to be an excellent program.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Put the text in first, then add the notes at a later time.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”