Standing in Sacrament Meeting to Sing Hymns

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Friarpooh

Standing in Sacrament Meeting to Sing Hymns

Post by Friarpooh »

I recall somewhere we are not to stand for any Hymn but the National Anthem of teh country we are in. I cannot recall where heard this but I found instructions in the Hymn book relating to this subject. Can anyone shead any light on this subject?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Friarpooh wrote:I recall somewhere we are not to stand for any Hymn but the National Anthem of the country we are in. I cannot recall where heard this but I found instructions in the Hymn book relating to this subject. Can anyone shed any light on this subject?
This was discussed last year in the thread Sacrament Meeting Music. Although various opinions are mentioned in that thread, the quotes from the Hymn book (which are quoted in that thread) seem to be the only written documentation anyone could reference. If you are in a calling where you need an answer to this question, you should consult with your local priesthood leaders.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Here we stand for intermediate hymn. It's an old fashion coming from afternoon Sacrament Meeting SM starting from 17:00 till 18:30 (old member must remeber it).
Now SM is only ten minutes past hour but we still appreciate a bit rest from sitting all the time.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Friarpooh wrote:I recall somewhere we are not to stand for any Hymn but the National Anthem of teh country we are in. I cannot recall where heard this but I found instructions in the Hymn book relating to this subject. Can anyone shead any light on this subject?
(This is a personal comment, not a moderator action.)

This is not written and may be more indicative than authoritative:

Several years ago (I don't remember how many), one of the Twelve (I think it may have been Elder Scott) spoke at a CES Fireside at BYU Provo. As the closing hymn started, most everyone stood. The speaker (again, I think it was Elder Scott) stood, took the pulpit, and lovingly but firmly instructed that the practice of standing for a closing hymn was not to be done. He instructed that we should watch the First Presidency and the Twelve--that if/when we see them stand for hymns, we should do likewise but not until. He may have also mentioned something about not walking back to Missouri until we see the Twelve doing so.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rmrichesjr wrote:(This is a personal comment, not a moderator action.)

This is not written and may be more indicative than authoritative
Ditto
rmrichesjr wrote:The speaker (again, I think it was Elder Scott) stood, took the pulpit, and lovingly but firmly instructed that the practice of standing for a closing hymn was not to be done.
I remember the same fireside. I looked in the CES Fireside archives, but it appears to have only the talks, not the entire broadcast.

Likewise, I can't remember the time frame, but I'm fairly sure it was over 5 years ago. I'd probably start my search closer to 2000. Nor I can I be certain who the speaker was. It was memorable since he took the pulpit between the closing hymn and the prayer - most unusual. I also remember him saying that one of his roles is to correct errors in the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Eric Werny-p40

You're allow to be an independent thinker.

Post by Eric Werny-p40 »

Your allowed to be an independent thinker, just as long as your Priesthood leadership agrees that it fulfills the guideline of the First Presidency.

I think also what is important here, as the church grows, and new converts bring in many of the idea, trends and cultures from previous religious experiences, we need to lovingly, and gently guide these new members as to the do and don't of the church.

The missionary program of the Church as it sit now, is generating a large numbers of converts. In my own ward we have already met our years baptism goal, and have been blessed with almost perfect activity from those new members.

So when you say, follow the lead of our church leaders, your dead on.

Thanks for all the comments.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rmrichesjr wrote:Several years ago (I don't remember how many), one of the Twelve . . . spoke at a CES Fireside at BYU Provo. As the closing hymn started, most everyone stood. The speaker . . . stood, took the pulpit, and lovingly but firmly instructed that the practice of standing for a closing hymn was not to be done. He instructed that we should watch the First Presidency and the Twelve--that if/when we see them stand for hymns, we should do likewise but not until.
It was Elder Ballard.

In any meeting, if the presiding officer stands for the hymn, feel free to do so. It will usually be either an intermediate hymn at a stake conference, or the national anthem. But, there are other times and places. Just watch the fellow who is presiding.
rmrichesjr wrote: He may have also mentioned something about not walking back to Missouri until we see the Twelve doing so.
I do not remember him saying that, but my memory should not be considered a good source for . . . what was it I was going to say? [grin]
ComradeH-p40

Post by ComradeH-p40 »

The choir director in the MTC reminded us every week:

"We do not stand for the hymns of Zion, unless directed to do so."

I think this was oft repeated because missionaries had a tendency to stand during "Called to Serve," which made for some chaos. The last time the MTC fielded a choir to General Conference he was still there and he was in the Called to Serve movie, so most missionaries in the last several years will probably remember that advice (I was there for 12 weeks, so I heard it more often than some, though).

During a 4th of July Devotional a missionary stood while we sang a patriotic song (It might have been the national anthem, but I'm not sure). He stood for what seemed like forever and nobody followed, presumably because they all knew the choir directors stance on standing. I assume it was a new missionary, or a particularly patriotic one. Eventually he sat down. It was an interesting spectacle.

Long story short: I think that standing is great in meetings (don't they stand during General Conference congregational hymns?) as long as it is done in an orderly way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ComradeH wrote:"We do not stand for the hymns of Zion, unless directed to do so."
Good advice for the congregation. But the question is who authorized it? The written instructions indicates it's to come from the Priesthood, but I'll bet there's been a few cases of the chorister taking authority unto him/herself. I think that's behind a few incidents.
ComradeH wrote:(don't they stand during General Conference congregational hymns?)
It appears traditional to stand for the hymn at the midpoint of a two hour conference.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I like to stand to sing the intermediate hymn - so if the chorrister doesn't gesture to the congregation to stand, then I just stand up instead :)

Return to “General Discussions”