Throttling and simultaneous connections to LDS.org

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
hiltonc

Throttling and simultaneous connections to LDS.org

Post by hiltonc »

I would like to maximize the throughput of pre-fetching/caching limited amounts of content from LDS.org, while at the same time being a good citizen. That of course means client-side throttling and limiting the number of simultaneous connections to the website. Does anyone have any experience in this area on the client side, or can anyone working on the server side provide some insight regarding:
  1. What is the fastest a client should send requests to LDS.org? In my experience, waiting one second between connections to LDS.org results in at least one connection stalling and timing out after 3-5 good connections (which is very expensive to wait for).
  2. What is the maximum number of connections a client should make to LDS.org at the same time? I understand that the de facto answer to question 2 is 2 simultaneous connections, but it would be good to know whether more is acceptable.
nicklewis

Post by nicklewis »

I have often used the free version of DAP to tap into 5 connections at once without a problem. I have not seen anything on the web site or in these discussions that limit how many connections you might make. Using an app like DAP is useful when you are downloading the 100+ meg MLS app. A moderator may have a different take on this.
Nick Lewis
Melbourne Ward Clerk
Cocoa Florida Stake
chchstake-p40

Post by chchstake-p40 »

I personally use 'DownThemAll' which is a free open source Firefox Browser addon (for PC & Mac) that gives you the ability to have up to 10 simultaneous connections when downloading content from a server. I find this works well when downloading large content from the lds.org website.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Hilton is looking for how much traffic LDS.org can handle, and more specifically what the best practice upper limit would be of number of requests and how frequent for a single user. He works with mobile apps and plans to make other mobile apps that may have a need to make requests to LDS.org in order to "scrape" the information needed from the site and display it in the mobile apps. I'm not sure either of these suggestions would be of any help to a mobile app; it also seems he's looking for policy guidance from developers and maintainers of LDS.org, rather than a technological solution.

Return to “General Discussions”