Open Source Idea

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

JamesAnderson wrote:The challenging one is tagging articles to go with particular lessons, I've not seen that except in the YM/YW topics in the November Ensign but it might prove extremely useful to some. That is where the best collaboration can likely be.
What about using social tagging on the existing resources in the gospel library. Allowing users to tag existing articles might make them more accessible with a broader range of subjects. Then we could have a topics page. Someone could use the topic of Divorce and find more results than a simple search with the keyword "divorce".

Social tagging allows more for implied meaning rather than straight keyword matching.

This would also eliminate the need for additional approval since the content in the gospel library is already approved.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

bhofmann wrote:Social tagging allows more for implied meaning rather than straight keyword matching.

This would also eliminate the need for additional approval since the content in the gospel library is already approved.
I would almost agree with a slight caveat that some light moderation might be needed to ensure that the social tags used are appropriate to the topic at hand and not completely off-base.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kgthunder wrote:I would almost agree with a slight caveat that some light moderation might be needed to ensure that the social tags used are appropriate to the topic at hand and not completely off-base.
Aw, and here I had plans to tag all the times the ancient prophets sinned or when someone committed adultery. :D :rolleyes:

Seriously, we probably do need to think about what kinds of malicious tags might be applied.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:Aw, and here I had plans to tag all the times the ancient prophets sinned or when someone committed adultery. :D :rolleyes:

You are going to do some serious old testament study. (Yes there is at least some infraction by a prophet or someone committing adultery in all the standard works)

Anyway I think if we have the tags be basically the topical guide topics then we'd be pretty safe.
- David
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

A couple other things come to mind then.

Cross-referencing talks to other talks on the same subject. This will also catch some talks that have been printed later, such as a talk that was first given in 1993 but reused as a First Presidency Message earlier this year. I discovered this while looking for something else, vetted it via the search engine, the only difference was the footnoting was more comprehensive than in the original.

The second idea comes from the fact that sometimes a scripture is paraphrased and not noted in the talk. A talk given in 1971 by Spencer W. Kimball mentions Amos 3:7 but does not cite it because it was a paraphrase of it. That way, there could be a way of correlating things more closely with the scriptures.

This is already done to some extent by BYU's scripture pages, but could end up proving invaluable.

And I also agree on using the Topical Guide subjects as tags. Also tagging things in talks with a topical guide subject tag could be a way of handling things mentioned above as well.

Then we could see right at a glance in some other area who said what and used what scripture and what other talks or articles mentioned that same talk or scripture or subject. This has very significant possibilities.

I'm not sure how the programming or layout would work, but that's what this thread is about I think.
kgcrowther-p40

Object Lessons and Historical Significance

Post by kgcrowther-p40 »

I would never sift through posted lesson plans to prepare a lesson - it is too burdensome per reward... However, there are two aspects of lesson planning in which I am constantly searching for help and inspiration: (1) object lessons and (2) historical relvance

(1) object lessons: A couple of years ago, while attending graduate school on the east coast, I taught early morning seminary. Elder Scott gave a training to all seminary teachers (Scott, R.G., 2005. To Understand and Live Truth. Talk given during An Evening with a General Authority on Febrary 4, 2005), in which he described that object lessons can provide an anchor for the spiritual aspects of the lessons to be retained. This worked exceptionally well with my teenagers. A good object lesson is NEVER forgotten and the spiritual message is written on "the fleshy tables of [their] heart" (2 Cor. 3:3). These should be simple one-paragraph descriptions of the materials required, and the doctrinal message that is connected. Others' could post comments about variations on the object theme and impact of the lesson on various audiences. All these factors could be used to sort a large and growing catelogs of object lessons. One could search by message, audience, materials available (this was frequently my largest constraint as a student), and time requirements ... to find the perfect object lesson for the lesson. The brevity of such object lesson descriptions would make doctrine-checking simple. (The seminary teacher manual has lots of great/simple object lessons that I modified for the materials available to me, preparation time, and class needs.)

(2) historical significance: The other major bits of knowledge that I seek for during a lesson are descriptions of histories that improve one's understanding of the relevant scriptures. For example, once I taught my seminary kids about how salt was used during sacrifices in the OldT. I had them remember how they can smell a well-seasoned grill from miles away. Then we read Matt 5:13 (Ye are the salt of the earth). Then I had them envision how far away they can see a bonfire on a hill and we read Matt 5:14 (Ye are the light of the world). Then THEY taught me that Jesus was teaching about sacrifice and how His atoning sacrifice would fulfill the law of Moses. THEY then taught me how important it is to make these things known to the inhabitants of the whole earth. The little piece of history (e.g., salt used in sacrifices) made the scripture have enormous significance, relevance, and meaning.

It would be excellent to have something like http://scriptures.byu.edu that would reference relevant object lessons and relevant historical facts to scriptures. Or, have a searchable database that is structured around topical guide themes. These could enhance lessons without detracting from the message or mixing doctrine and philosophy. I don't ever share stories unless they are my own, or historically referenced -- EVER! We should teach the scriptures and words of the prophets. I don't believe that entire lesson plans will ever be useful.

Just some ideas...

--kgc
Charlottesville, VA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kgcrowther wrote:However, there are two aspects of lesson planning in which I am constantly searching for help and inspiration: (1) object lessons and (2) historical relvance
We have a winner!! :)

That's an excellent idea! Long ago I've noticed the best talks have some kind of short story or example that's used to illustrate the talk. If you can remember the story, you can easily remember the talk.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I like this alot too. Terrific idea! I've always loved the lessons that gave me more of a historical picture of the timeframe and situation to help my understanding of the particular scripture passage or account from Church history.

What do you think, Joel?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Again another point for object lessons is that President Monson always has two or three stories in his talks and they are great. (Except when the Portuguese translators cannot keep up and just drop half the story, but that's ok since they don't have a script to follow on them.)

As for Historical relevance I've noticed that it connects the audience more to the lesson if they can imagine actually being there.
- David
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I red ALL posts of this topic and I'm enchanted about different reactions to Joel request!
Diversity is fantastic!
I'm Italian and love culture. With Paul (the ancient apostle) I enjoy read everything and retain the good.
The idea that teachers all around the world, with their culture an knowledge, could share their teaching ideas and resources is formidable, wonderful, exiting.
I think I had the same feeling when the plan of salvation was explained to as in the preexistence!
Maybe I'm sick of pioneer-ism (I don't know if in English have sense). But I think that problems, errors, etc. are part of progress.
Of course Church's manuals are enough (I think are the minimum) but are we or not invited to search the more good?
I'll would collaborate in this project, if it will take place!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “Other Member Technologies”