LDS Account API?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
jgillespie
Location: US, VA, Fairfax (Fairfax Ward, Annandale Virginia Stake)

LDS Account API?

Post by jgillespie »

Is there any chance that an API will be made available for LDS Account authentication? OpenID compliant would be great :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The church does have a program for FamilySearch Partners. But I don't see any signs that anything like that will come to other areas. Given the sensitivity of the information, I tend to doubt it.

The church is engaging in limited open development, but that's not the same as partnering.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jgillespie
Location: US, VA, Fairfax (Fairfax Ward, Annandale Virginia Stake)

Post by jgillespie »

Thanks for the reply. I'm not really interested in Family Search development right now, but the partner program looks great!

I agree that there would clearly be issues with granting external folks access to any Church servers/data/account information, but I'm more wondering if a non-Church-owned system could leverage the LDS Account system for authentication. There are several examples of widely deployed OpenID-compliant providers out there on the internet...things like Google Accounts (http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/) and MS Live ID (https://msm.live.com/app/). I'm not necessarily asking if the Church is considering becoming an OpenID provider, but more wondering if they are looking into offering an authentication service of some kind. A system like this would allow third-party systems to verify that an actor/user "controls an identifier" without the third-party "needing access to end user credentials" (http://openid.net/specs/openid-authentication-2_0.html).

I can think of a dozen cool uses of such an authentication service, but right now I am interested in advocating the use of a network access control system at our meeting house. I think it would be great if we could integrate LDS Accounts for NAC decisioning and policy enforcement.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

There is, around the world, many unofficial church sites that could use it to know if a user is a member.
I'm one of this potential user for several sites!:D
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jgillespie wrote:I can think of a dozen cool uses of such an authentication service, but right now I am interested in advocating the use of a network access control system at our meeting house. I think it would be great if we could integrate LDS Accounts for NAC decisioning and policy enforcement.
Sounds like a good idea. You might approach Tomw with the idea to see if it's something the church might do community development. Since the authentication happens inside the network, it might be allowed.
marianomarini_vi wrote:There is, around the world, many unofficial church sites that could use it to know if a user is a member.
I don't think the church wants to reveal if someone is a member or not. So I don't think that's going to happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

RussellHltn wrote: I don't think the church wants to reveal if someone is a member or not. So I don't think that's going to happen.
Can a non member have an LDSAccount?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini_vi wrote:Can a non member have an LDSAccount?
Yes. The registration process is obviously a little different (no member record number), but nonmembers can indeed obtain an LDS Account.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Right. I test it after my post!
Too fast reply!!!:D
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Right now to my knowledge there is no plan for LDSAccount API authentication for other applications to use. Sorry :(

Tom
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

marianomarini_vi wrote:Can a non member have an LDSAccount?
Yes they can.

Tom

Return to “Church Account”